Friday, September 28, 2012

Promises Promises



Throughout the Bible God made many promises to His people. Because God is truth we can put our hope and trust in the promises that relate to the ones He made that pertain to us as either Jews or Gentiles. 

Because I sometimes live a distracted narrow focused life there are times when I forget what God has promised me. I even have had a doubt or two about His power to change my circumstances causing me to lose hope. This happens when I become more self centered over being God centered. I know the right perspective to have is for God to increase and for me to decrease when it comes to perspective, power and will. When I become the focal point in my life I begin to rely on  my narrow human perspective. I begin to rely on my own strength and wisdom to deal with life. I know that when I exclude God in an area of my life I open myself up to bad decision making, conflict, loss of perspective, and ultimately some level of depression,  sadness and shame.  I know for me it is important to remind myself about the promises that God has made to me. If you look at how many times God has said “I will” in the Bible you would be amazed on how many promises He has made and kept regarding His people. 

These are some of the promises that have helped calm the storms in my life. I hope they will do the same for you.

1.    He has promised to supply every need we have:

Philippians 4:19 NIV  
And my God will meet all your needs according to his glorious riches in Christ Jesus.

Matthew 11:28-30 NIV
"Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy and my burden is light."

Philippians 4:6-7 NIV
Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.


    2. God has promised that His grace is sufficient for us:

2 Corinthians 12:9 NIV  
But he said to me, "My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness." Therefore I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christ's power may rest on me.

Ephesians 2:8 NIV
For it is by grace you have been saved, through faith—and this not from yourselves, it is the gift of God—

Romans 5:1-2 NIV  
Therefore, since we have been justified through faith, we have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ, through whom we have gained access by faith into this grace in which we now stand. And we rejoice in the hope of the glory of God.


3.    God has promised that His children will not be overtaken with temptation:


1 Corinthians 10:13 NIV
No temptation has seized you except what is common to man. And God is faithful; he will not let you be tempted beyond what you can bear. But when you are tempted, he will also provide a way out so that you can stand up under it.


4.    God has promised us victory over death:

1 Corinthians 15:3 NIV
For what I received I passed on to you as of first importance: that Christ died for our sins according to the Scriptures,

1 Corinthians 15:57 NIV
 But thanks be to God! He gives us the victory through our Lord Jesus Christ.

Romans 6:23 NIV
 For the wages of sin is death, but the gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord.


5.    God has promised that all things work together for His good purpose:

Romans 8:28 NIV
And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him,  who have been called according to his purpose.

Philippians 1:6 NIV
Being confident of this, that he who began a good work in you will carry it on to completion until the day of Christ Jesus.

Philippians 2:13 NIV
for it is God who works in you to will and to act according to his good purpose.



5.    God has promised that those who believe in Jesus and receive Him as Lord and Savior will be saved:

Acts 2:38 NIV
Peter replied, "Repent and be baptized, every one of you, in the name of Jesus Christ for the forgiveness of your sins. And you will receive the gift of the Holy Spirit.

Acts 4:12 NIV 
Salvation is found in no one else, for there is no other name under heaven given to men by which we must be saved.”

Mark 16:16 NIV
Whoever believes and is baptized will be saved, but whoever does not believe will be condemned.

John 14:6 NIV  (This is the one verse that we must understand as truth and take to heart)
Jesus answered, “I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me.

Romans 10:9-10 NIV
That if you confess with your mouth, "Jesus is Lord," and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved. For it is with your heart that you believe and are justified, and it is with your mouth that you confess and are saved.


6.    God has promised that His people are no longer under His wrath, they have been given eternal life:


Romans 8:1 NIV
 Therefore, there is now no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus,

John 10:27-28 NIV
My sheep listen to my voice; I know them, and they follow me. I give them eternal life, and they shall never perish; no one can snatch them out of my hand.

John 3:16 NIV
"For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life.


This life we have now is only temporary. In fact, we are just visitors strangers in this world because our real home is in Heaven. We are to prepare ourselves in this life to spend eternity with God. God’s Word reminds us that  we are only on the first part of our journey. God’s promises are important because they remind us that we have a new life yet to come. When we read the Bible and spend time with God in prayer He will remind us of His love and His plans. Even when we dwell in our moments of despair, God’s Word can bring us hope and breathe new life into each of us. This one passage below is a very powerful and personal promise from Jesus.

John 14:1-4 NIV
"Do not let your hearts be troubled. Trust in God; trust also in me. In my Father's house are many rooms; if it were not so, I would have told you. I am going there to prepare a place for you. And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come back and take you to be with me that you also may be where I am. You know the way to the place where I am going."


Take this verse to heart and live each day with an eternal perspective. That way the joy and glory that is to come will resonate within your soul and bring you hope of the promises yet to come.


Just Sayin…………………..Dave


No comments:

Post a Comment