The Importance of God’s Word in our Everyday Lives
Here are some ways God continues to get my attention:
· He allows me to go through trials and testing
· Marriage often exposes my self-centered sinful nature
· God allows me to experience the Consequences of my sin
· Conversations with believers awakens me to insightful ways to live set apart to God and receive Godly counsel
· God uses sermons, testimonies and lectures to speak into my situation
· The Holy Spirit knows how to get my attention, He convicts me often and for my good
filters my words and thought life
But I also find that God speaks regularly to me in a very powerful way through the study of His Word. With the help of the Holy Spirit in a unique and supernatural way, I can understand scripture, know God’s purpose, plan, principles and spiritual concepts that will challenge me and transform me into the man He wants me to be.
What I love about Scripture is that it explains who God is, how He works and what He has planned for humanity.
God’s inspired Word revealed to me that a faith and belief in Jesus is a saving faith. And when
I gave my life over to Him, I received direction for my life, new hope new purpose, and a fulfillment of my deepest need for unfailing love.
Can we really trust God’s Word?
My answer would be yes for these reasons:
· God is the Author of the Bible (He who breathed it, inspired it, and conceived it)
· The Bible was written down by Godly men directed by the Holy Spirit
· Prophecy in the Bible is Fulfilled. For example: Bible scholars point out that nearly 300 references to 61 specific prophecies of the Messiah were fulfilled by Jesus Christ
· The Bible accurately foretells specific events-in detail-many years, sometimes centuries, before they occur. Approximately 2,500 prophecies appear in the pages of the Bible, about 2,000 of which already have been fulfilled to the letter-no errors.
· Archeological discoveries confirm history recorded in the Bible
The Bible is completely compatible with real science for example:
· The Earth is round (Isaiah 40:22) – discovered in 15th Century
· Earth is held in place by invisible forces (Job 26:7) – discovered in 1650
· Infinite number of stars exist (Genesis 15:5; Jeremiah 33:22) – discovered in 1940
· Earth’s weather follows rules and cycles (Genesis 8:22) – discovered by Galileo around 300 years ago
We can look to the testimony of those who wrote the Bible and we see examples today that God has the power to Change lives > the bible confirms this:
· The Bible through the power of the Holy Spirit – Awakens the human soul to seek, know and walk with God.
· The Bible reveals our sin and need for a Savior.
· The Bible explains the world’s brokenness and how Jesus came to redeem and restore what sin had stolen.
· God’s Word teaches us about life as God designed it to be lived.
· The Bible brings life, hope and eternal perspective
The Bible exhorts us to walk according to God’s Word:
Blessed are those whose ways are blameless, who walk according to the law of the Lord.
Blessed are those who keep his statutes and seek him with all their heart - Psalm 119: 1-2
The Bible explains the importance and nature of Scripture:
All Scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting
and training in righteousness, so that the servant of God may be thoroughly
equipped for every good work. – 2 Timothy 3: 16-17
The Bible tells us what to do with God’s Word:
Do not merely listen to the word, and so deceive yourselves. Do what it says. Anyone who listens to the word but does not do what it says is like someone who looks at his face in a mirror and, after looking at himself, goes away and immediately forgets what he looks like - James 1:22-24
Eternal truth is not altered by the constant change, and new ideas adopted by the culture and the world. The truth God established in the Bible overrules the winds of current trends, the waves of cultural patterns, and the tide of modern thinking.
God’s Word tells us about His solution to the problem of sin and shows us how we can live in a way that reflects and honors the God who made us.
The Bible tells us how much God loves us and the lengths He went to rescue us.
God’s Word gives life purpose, and renews our mind so that we can understand God’s will:
Do not conform to the pattern of this world but be transformed by the renewing of your mind. Then you will be able to test and approve what God’s will is—his good, pleasing and perfect will. (Romans 12:2)
God’s Word gives us the most important teachings of Jesus:
“I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me.”
“All authority in heaven and on earth has been given to me. 19 Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, 20 and teaching them to obey everything I have commanded you. And surely I am with you always, to the very end of the age.” (Matthew 28: 18-20)
8 But you will receive power when the Holy Spirit comes on you; and you will be my witnesses in Jerusalem, and in all Judea and Samaria, and to the ends of the earth.”
And of course, read Matthew Chapter 5 > The Beatitudes and other teaching and parables of Jesus.
Closing thoughts: (spiritual discipline challenge)
Let’s take time each day to take God’s Word to heart so we can get the right kind of perspective to help us navigate this fallen world in a humble God honoring way.
How about no Bible no breakfast > let’s make our first priority of our day to acknowledge God with Gratitude and prayer and read His Word, He just might be trying to get our attention.
Caution: we need to be careful when things are going well. We may be tempted to rely on our own strength and wisdom. We need to always be on the lookout for pride and selfish ambition creeping back in and igniting the old self. We must be careful not to take it for granted that we already know what the word says. Just remember what Jesus said:
“It is written: ‘Man shall not live on bread alone, but on every word that comes from the mouth of God.’ (Matthew 4:4)
Jesus has chosen us to change the world beginning with the inside of ourselves, our hearts, minds, actions and works. We can live this transformed life so others know that God truly has power.
With the help God’s Word, we can put off the old self and put on the new self:
Ephesians 4:22-24 New International Version
You were taught, with regard to your former way of life, to put off your old self, which is being corrupted by its deceitful desires; to be made new in the attitude of your minds; and to put on the new self, created to be like God in true righteousness and holiness.
One of the best ways for anyone to grow spiritually and to serve God is through the reading and study of God’s Word:
James 1:25 New International Version
25 But whoever looks intently into the perfect law that gives freedom, and continues in it—not forgetting what they have heard, but doing it—they will be blessed in what they do.
For all these reasons, God’s Word should play a role in our everyday lives!