Monday, October 1, 2012

Do What It Says



Bible study is a great way for us to grow in our faith and love for Jesus. Studying the Bible which goes beyond just reading it, will challenge us to make important changes in our life. This is because God's Word is living and active, and when we connect with the source of all truth, the Holy Spirit motivates us to live according to God's pleasing and perfect will. We then become accountable to God through the challenge of living in obedience to His commands and exhortations.

These passages explain:


Hebrews 4:12-13 New Living Translation 
 For the word of God is alive and powerful. It is sharper than the sharpest two-edged sword, cutting between soul and spirit, between joint and marrow. It exposes our innermost thoughts and desires. Nothing in all creation is hidden from God. Everything is naked and exposed before his eyes, and he is the one to whom we are accountable.


Romans 12:1-2 New International Version 1984 
Living Sacrifices
Therefore, I urge you, brothers, in view of God’s mercy, to offer your bodies as living sacrifices, holy and pleasing to God—this is your spiritual act of worship. Do not conform any longer to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind. Then you will be able to test and approve what God’s will is—his good, pleasing and perfect will.


Here is the situation before I began to Study God's Word and really apply it: 

I struggled with focusing on the obstacles in my life. I kept seeing each difficult circumstance like trying to climb a rocky mountain in my bare feet with no water nor any direction to get to the summit. I focused on the negative in everything, and because of this, I rarely dealt  with the issues of sin in my life that caused me to stumble. Even after my relationship with God became more of a priority in my daily life, I failed to glorify Him because I put God in a box and forgot that nothing is impossible for God. Jesus reminds me however:


Luke 18:27 New International Version 1984 
Jesus replied, “What is impossible with men is possible with God.”


I also got to the point where I couldn’t make decisions because of a fear and a lack of trust in God. 

But when I began to dig deeper into the Bible and actually studied and applied God's principles taking them to heart according to the way the the Holy Spirit was teaching me, I found out that I could trust God. I saw how God kept His promises to His people time and time again. I realized that He was also keeping His promises to me as well. At that point I knew could trust Him with every decision I needed to make, every trial I had to face, and most of all, my eternity. When we are burdened,  when we have to make tough decisions, when we a hurting, sick, tired, tempted, and scared, God is right there with us. Followers of Jesus know through the reading of God's Word that He will never abandon us nor forsake us. 

Because I took a step toward God, because I had to operate on faith and trust in God to direct my life, I am in a much better place to deal with the obstacles that confront me.  In fact, now I have a different world view and direction in my life that helps me avoid the things that used to steer me away from God.  In my life God’s Word has become more powerful and more alive and continues to resonate in my heart and mind daily.

This verse below helps me realize that trusting in God is the only way to stay connected to His will.


Proverbs 3:5-6 New International Version 1984 
Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding;
in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make your paths straight.

This verse is my reminder that God is faithful in keeping His promises:



Hebrews 10:23 New International Version 1984 
Let us hold unswervingly to the hope we profess, for he who promised is faithful.


So, because I decided to Study God's Word I learned that God is faithful and keeps His promises. When I trust Him, He gives me the strength to make difficult but important changes in my life. One of the hardest things to do is to  avoid conforming to the pattern of this world. Yet with God’s help I can live the abundant life, His pattern, that He desires for me.

I tell you this, it is good to know God’s Word and to be filled with the Holy Spirit, especially for those times when we are seeking wisdom, comfort, direction, discernment and supernatural strength. When God’s Word is written on our hearts and minds we begin to filter life through His eyes and gain an eternal perspective.  So when difficult circumstances arise so does opportunities to trust God, grow in out faith, and allow the Holy Spirit to continue to transform us from the inside out. Don't just read your Bible, Study it and do what it says.


James 1:22New Living Translation 
But don’t just listen to God’s word. You must do what it says. Otherwise, you are only fooling yourselves.

Just Sayin…………………..Dave



No comments:

Post a Comment