Wednesday, March 6, 2013

Calming the Restless Spirit


Calming the Restless Spirit

Have you ever gotten to a point in your life where you looking for some kind of change? It could 
be a desire for a new job or a move to a different state or even just a pattern shift in the way you 
do life.

What causes us to want to escape and desire to find a new life? What is it about our humanity 
that refuses to be content with where we are in life? Why do humans innately have that hole in 
their lives that needs to be filled? Why does this emptiness continue to reappear even when we 
find stuff to fill the hole?

These are all good questions. Maybe we were designed by God to need something. Maybe 
that something is God Himself and we have been designed to need the Holy Spirit to fill that hole
in our lives.

Since receiving the Holy Spirit in my life I have never felt alone. Sure, I have been bummed out, 
depressed, self-focused and a victim of my own surrealistic imagination, but never again alone. I always have someone to cry out to, someone to guide my thoughts and calm my restless heart. What I am experiencing now as I cry out to God for some direction in my life, is that God has not yet revealed a clear cut answer to my supplication.  Now, He may at some point, but for now, I must wrestle with my thoughts, my desires, my dreams the desires of others and God’s will. I hope and pray God’s will wins out because that is whose desire to be obedient to.

Maybe I should also consider that God wants me to wrestle with Him. Maybe by allowing 
difficulties in my life to arise is God’s way of drawing me closer to Himself.  Maybe I should 
consider that God understands my natural tendency to run from Him and do things my way. 
Maybe by wrestling with God I will discover something about His sovereignty and power as well as something about my weakness and limited perspective. Maybe God uses the difficulties in my life to help me grow in faith and trust in Him.  Maybe God is using this time to strengthen me and fend off the my tendency for life to overrun me with uncertainty and fear.

As a follower of Jesus I recognize that the Holy Spirit has the power to influence my thoughts, counsel my fears, open up my mind to God's truth and direct my path. I also recognize that I can attain a deeper faith and a greater sense of hope when I allow God to walk along side me through the difficult times rather than shut him out and pursue my own solutions to my problems. The Bible gives me an answer as to why God can use suffering for good.

Romans 5:3-5 New International Version 1984  
Not only so, but we also rejoice in our sufferings, because we know that suffering produces perseveranceperseverance, character; and character, hope. And hope does not disappoint us, because God has poured out his love into our hearts by the Holy Spirit, whom he has given us.


Ah…..Godly Character and real hope! That is what I truly need. What’s happening is this, God is 
trying to shape my character and give me hope for a future that is not under my control.  There 
have been many occasions when I am chomping at the bit to make emotionally based decisions 
for my life. God on the other hand reassures me that I can put my faith and trust in Him.                                                                             

Isaiah 41:10 New International Version 1984 
So do not fear, for I am with you; do not be dismayed, for I am your God.
I will strengthen you and help you; I will uphold you with my righteous right hand.

1 Peter 5:7 New Living Translation 
Give all your worries and cares to God, for he cares about you.

Nahum 1:7 New Living Translation 
The Lord is good, a strong refuge when trouble comes. He is close to those who 
trust in him.

So what can calm my restless spirit?

Within God’s Word I discover that God has already laid out the plan He has for my life. 
In fact the Bible makes it clear about God’s desire for me.

Jeremiah 29:11 New International Version 1984
For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the LORD, “plans to prosper you and 
not to harm youplans to give you hope and a future.

It is also God’s desire to do a good work in me and through me.

Philippians 1:6 NIV
being confident of this, that he who began a good work in you will carry it on to 
completion until the day of Christ Jesus.

God has a good purpose for those who love Him.

Romans 8:28 NIV
And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have 
been called according to his purpose.

The key for me is that when I come to a point where I need to make an important decision 
concerning my life, I must make sure that it is in line with God’s will. So I must seek God’s will. 
According to the Bible there are a couple of ways I can do this:

Romans 12:2 NIV
Do not conform any longer to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing 
of your mind. Then you will be able to test and approve what God’s will is—his good, 
pleasing and perfect will.

Proverbs 3:5-6 New International Version 1984 
Trust in the LORD with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding;
in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make your paths straight.

Matthew 7:7-8 New International Version 1984 
Ask, Seek, Knock
 “Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to 
you. For everyone who asks receives; he who seeks finds; and to him who knocks, the door will be opened.

Through prayer, the Holy Spirit and through the wisdom of God’s Word, I can get a better 
understanding What God wants me to do with my life.

Things I know God wants me to do:
Love God (Matthew 22:37-38)
Love My Neighbor (Matthew 22: 39)
Share the Gospel (Sharing my hope and God's story) (Matthew 28: 18-20, 1 Peter 3:15 )
Use my spiritual gifts and talents for His glory (1 Corinthians 12:1-11)

God’s Word is useful in my daily endeavor to live for Him and serve Him.

2 Timothy 3:16-17 New International Version 1984 
All Scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousnessso that the man of God may be thoroughly equipped for every good work.

So, when I think about ways to calm my restless spirit, the answer is clear. I must be patient, waiting 
on the Lord for His perfect timing. I must realize God is in control and He will institute the next phase of my life whenever and whatever that happens to be. In the meantime, I know to continue to revere Him with a life of worship while doing the work He has called me to do. And because I love God and desire to serve Him, I know setting myself apart to Him is really the place I want to be right now and forever.

Colossians 3:23-24 New Living Translation 
Whatever you do, work at it with all your heart, as working for the Lord, not for men,
since you know that you will receive an inheritance from the Lord as a reward. It is the Lord Christ you are serving.


1 Corinthians 15:58 New International Version 1984 
Therefore, my dear brothers, stand firm. Let nothing move you. Always give yourselves fully to 
the work of the Lordbecause you know that your labor in the Lord is not in vain.


When I feel my spirit getting restless I know I can go to Jesus who will give me the peace 
and assurance I need.

Matthew 11:28-29 New International Version 1984 
 “Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. Take my 
yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest 
for your souls.

John 14:26-27 New International Version 1984 
But the Counselor, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in my name, will teach 
you all things and will remind you of everything I have said to you. Peace I leave with you; my peace I give you. I do not give to you as the world gives. Do not let your hearts be troubled and do not be afraid.


Because of Jesus’ love for me, I can live in joyful abundance, knowing that my future is secure.
Most important in sustaining my attitude is remaining connected to God through Prayer, Bible Study, Scripture Meditation, Godly Counsel, Worship in Serving and Song as well as inviting the Holy Spirit to guide my heart each and everyday. Staying connected to God will help me to serve His kingdom with humility, a loving heart and with an eternal perspective. Knowing that I have an eternal hope and future calms my spirit. I have found that place where the restless soul finds peace in the Savior.


Just Sayin........................Dave






2 comments:

  1. Lots to digest here... thanks for your investment in me and many others. Love you man

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Robin, I appreciate you as a friend and brother in Christ!

      Delete