Friday, September 5, 2014

Quick note on the Importance of Bible Study



Quick note on the Importance of  Bible Study

Bible study and the application of God’s principles have made the greatest positive difference in my life. Studying the Bible helps me get to know God on a deeper level and gives me the desire to apply what I have learned to my life. God’s Word is powerful and inspiring and equips me for ministry opportunities. The Bible explains:

2 Timothy 3:16-17 New International Version (NIV)
All Scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness, so that the servant of God may be thoroughly equipped for every good work.


We must not take God’s Word for granted. Even though we get a lot of great info from Sunday messages, Bible studies, small groups, conferences etc., we must continue to make personal quiet time a priority in order for God’s truth to take hold of our hearts and minds. We do this through prayer, scripture meditation, journaling and reading and studying in a place where there are no distractions. It is very important to take the time to reflect on our lives and evaluate where we are in our relationship with God. We must ask ourselves these personal questions: How many areas of my life do I allow God to participate in? How often do I pray and ask for God’s wisdom before making a decision? What am I doing to feed myself spiritually? What are the things in my life keeping me from spending time with God? What are my priorities in life, and who is first on my appointment list?

The evidence of spiritual growth and maturity can be charted by our level of faith and trust in God. When we trust God and allow Him to gain influence in every area of our lives, He has greater access to fulfill His greater purpose in us, which is to transform us into the likeness of Christ. When we are transformed to the point where we are living a God-focused life, we can understand to a greater extent that it is His desire to do His kingdom work through us. Sometimes God will even allow for our faith to be tested in order to hasten our transformation. The Bible explains:

James 1:2-4 New International Version (NIV)
Trials and Temptations
Consider it pure joy, my brothers and sisters, whenever you face trials of many kinds, because you know that the testing of your faith produces perseverance. Let perseverance finish its work so that you may be mature and complete, not lacking anything.

God also allows for suffering to shape our character and give us hope:

Romans 5:1-5 New International Version (NIV)
Therefore, since we have been justified through faith, we have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ, through whom we have gained access by faith into this grace in which we now stand. And we boast in the hope of the glory of God. Not only so, but we also glory in our sufferings, because we know that suffering produces perseverance; perseverance, character; and character, hope. And hope does not put us to shame, because God’s love has been poured out into our hearts through the Holy Spirit, who has been given to us.


When we allow for the Holy Spirit to transform us, the old self begins to fade and the new self, designed to identify us as God’s disciples, becomes more present and more effective in fulfilling God’s purposes.  The Holy Spirit is our primary source of wisdom, comfort, counsel, discernment and strength.

God constantly reminds me that much of my stress is caused when I battle Him for control of my life. In contrast, I have peace when I allow God to be in control of me, and the things in my life that I cannot control.  I am also comforted when Christ fills my mind with His promises and obtain real rest when my heart is connected to His. 

This passage reminds me of the importance of my relationship to Jesus for real rest and insight:

Matthew 11:28-29 New International Version (NIV)
Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls.

By digging into God's Word, God has a chance to speak to me directly. When I study the Bible I see past the Words and am now looking into God's own heart and mind. 
Therefore, I know by His Word God loves me and has a good plan for my life. 


Jeremiah 29:11 New International Version (NIV)
For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the Lord, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.
 

Romans 8:28 New International Version (NIV)
And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose.

 
John 3:16 New International Version (NIV)
For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life.


1 John 4:19 New International Version (NIV)
We love because he first loved us.




My prayer for all of is that we will continue to seek God on a deeper level and that Bible Study is on our list of want to do’s. 



Just Sayin………………………..Dave





No comments:

Post a Comment