Friday, August 17, 2012

Don't Just Know It, Apply What You Have Learned


Question
What should you do with the wisdom and principles that God reveals to you through His Word?
Answer
Apply what you have learned to your life.

Seems simple doesn’t it. Well it’s not. It has taken me years to apply some of the wisdom and principles 
that God has revealed to me through His Word.With application I can develop good habits, live with integrity, gain hope, grow in my faith, serve and benefit His kingdom, become God-centered, and reflect 
the heart and character of Christ. If I am called to be an ambassador for Christ, it becomes helpful to know what God desires from me.  Romans 12:1-2 points to ways I can please God and know His will for my life.

Romans 12:1-2 New International Version 1984 (NIV1984)
Living Sacrifices
12 Therefore, I urge you, brothers, in view of God’s mercy, to offer your bodies as living sacrifices,  
holy and pleasing to God—this is your spiritual act of worship. Do not conform any longer to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind. Then you will be able to test and approve what God’s will is —his good, pleasing and perfect will.

Proverbs 3:5-6 helps us as well:

Proverbs 3:5-6 New International Version 1984 (NIV1984)
5 Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding;
in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make your paths straight.

Question:  
How can God's Word help me live help me live in this day and age?

Answer:  
For example *Read all of Colossians 3 - Rules for Holy Living

Here is a passage from that chapter that gives us a deeper understanding of how we should live:

8 But now here are the kinds of things you must get rid of. You must put away anger, rage,
hate and lies. Let no dirty words come out of your mouths. 9 Don't lie to each other.
You have gotten rid of your old way of life and its habits. 10 You have started living a new life. 
It is being made new so that what you know has the Creator's likeness.


Question:  
How do I begin the process of applying Gods Word to my life?
Answer
Start with prayer, read and meditate on God's Word. Ask God for the strength to do  
what His Word says.  Ask, Seek and Knock. Allow the Holy Spirit to take charge and   
guide your heart and mind.

Matthew 7:7-8 New International Version 1984 (NIV1984)
Ask, Seek, Knock
Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you.
For everyone who asks receives; he who seeks finds; and to him who knocks, the door will be opened.

(1 Thessalonians 5:17)…………….”Pray Continuously”

The Context of the above Verse is (1 Thessalonians 5:16-18)………………..
“Be Joyful always. Pray continuously. Give thanks in all circumstances, for this is God’s will 
for you in Christ Jesus”.

The Author of this passage, Paul, from a letter written to the Thessalonians,  was speaking directly to
the  people of His day but we can also apply these same Principles to our lives as well. 

Truth - In order to gain the desire and strength  to apply God’s wisdom and principles, we will need
             His help.

If you read the Book of Psalms you see a lot of what is written are prayers that cry out to God for help,
Wisdom, strength etc.  The authors of these prayers understood that they needed God’s help
to process and gain Godly perspective for the times they felt weak, depressed, persecuted, or for just 
plain survival.

There are days I totally identify with the struggles  the writers of the psalms experienced. Yet I also
know that applying God’s principles to my life lifts me above survival mode into a new level of joyous 
living. I can even celebrate  the times when I experience difficulties and hardships because I get to see 
how God is perfecting my character, helping me grow in my faith, and building my trust in His lordship 
over my life.

So take the time this week to pray about your life.  Pray about those things  that God has been putting 
on your heart. Ask God for the strength to apply the wisdom and principles He has given you. Then
 live in expectation and wait for God to act. You may find yourself growing in your faith and trust in God while at the same time being transformed into a person who shares the Good News and reflects the heart and love of Jesus...............Just Sayin..................Dave





No comments:

Post a Comment