Wednesday, July 19, 2017

John Bible Study - Lesson 42

John Bible Study - Lesson 42

Read the passage below using the 2 different Bible translations:

John 16:16-33 New International Version (NIV)
The Disciples’ Grief Will Turn to Joy
16 Jesus went on to say, “In a little while you will see me no more, and then after a little while you will see me.”
17 At this, some of his disciples said to one another, “What does he mean by saying, ‘In a little while you will see me no more, and then after a little while you will see me,’ and ‘Because I am going to the Father’?”18 They kept asking, “What does he mean by ‘a little while’? We don’t understand what he is saying.”
19 Jesus saw that they wanted to ask him about this, so he said to them, “Are you asking one another what I meant when I said, ‘In a little while you will see me no more, and then after a little while you will see me’?20 Very truly I tell you, you will weep and mourn while the world rejoices. You will grieve, but your grief will turn to joy. 21 A woman giving birth to a child has pain because her time has come; but when her baby is born she forgets the anguish because of her joy that a child is born into the world. 22 So with you: Now is your time of grief, but I will see you again and you will rejoice, and no one will take away your joy. 23 In that day you will no longer ask me anything. Very truly I tell you, my Father will give you whatever you ask in my name. 24 Until now you have not asked for anything in my name. Ask and you will receive, and your joy will be complete.
25 “Though I have been speaking figuratively, a time is coming when I will no longer use this kind of language but will tell you plainly about my Father. 26 In that day you will ask in my name. I am not saying that I will ask the Father on your behalf. 27 No, the Father himself loves you because you have loved me and have believed that I came from God.28 I came from the Father and entered the world; now I am leaving the world and going back to the Father.”
29 Then Jesus’ disciples said, “Now you are speaking clearly and without figures of speech. 30 Now we can see that you know all things and that you do not even need to have anyone ask you questions. This makes us believe that you came from God.”
31 “Do you now believe?” Jesus replied. 32 “A time is coming and in fact has come when you will be scattered, each to your own home. You will leave me all alone. Yet I am not alone, for my Father is with me.
33 “I have told you these things, so that in me you may have peace. In this world you will have trouble. But take heart! I have overcome the world.”


John 16:16-33 New Living Translation (NLT)
Sadness Will Be Turned to Joy
16 “In a little while you won’t see me anymore. But a little while after that, you will see me again.”
17 Some of the disciples asked each other, “What does he mean when he says, ‘In a little while you won’t see me, but then you will see me,’ and ‘I am going to the Father’? 18 And what does he mean by ‘a little while’? We don’t understand.”
19 Jesus realized they wanted to ask him about it, so he said, “Are you asking yourselves what I meant? I said in a little while you won’t see me, but a little while after that you will see me again. 20 I tell you the truth, you will weep and mourn over what is going to happen to me, but the world will rejoice. You will grieve, but your grief will suddenly turn to wonderful joy. 21 It will be like a woman suffering the pains of labor. When her child is born, her anguish gives way to joy because she has brought a new baby into the world. 22 So you have sorrow now, but I will see you again; then you will rejoice, and no one can rob you of that joy.23 At that time you won’t need to ask me for anything. I tell you the truth, you will ask the Father directly, and he will grant your request because you use my name. 24 You haven’t done this before. Ask, using my name, and you will receive, and you will have abundant joy.
25 “I have spoken of these matters in figures of speech, but soon I will stop speaking figuratively and will tell you plainly all about the Father.26 Then you will ask in my name. I’m not saying I will ask the Father on your behalf, 27 for the Father himself loves you dearly because you love me and believe that I came from God.[a] 28 Yes, I came from the Father into the world, and now I will leave the world and return to the Father.”
29 Then his disciples said, “At last you are speaking plainly and not figuratively. 30 Now we understand that you know everything, and there’s no need to question you. From this we believe that you came from God.”
31 Jesus asked, “Do you finally believe? 32 But the time is coming—indeed it’s here now—when you will be scattered, each one going his own way, leaving me alone. Yet I am not alone because the Father is with me. 33 I have told you all this so that you may have peace in me. Here on earth you will have many trials and sorrows. But take heart, because I have overcome the world.”


Note:
Here are the 3 questions for you to answer. I have given some basic answers below the questions to help you understand the passage. Answer the questions first yourself before you look at my answers. Take a moment before you begin and ask God to help you understand what you are reading.


3 questions to answer:
1.    Content: What is this passage about?
2.    Lesson: What do I learn from this passage?
3.    Application: How can I apply what I have learned to my life?


Answers to the questions above and some background:

Content: What is this passage about?
·        Jesus tells His disciples that He is going to be with the Father.
·       The disciples were not sure what Jesus meant when He said He was going to be with the Father.
·       Jesus explains to the disciples that the world will rejoice when He goes away and that they will mourn. Jesus goes on to say that their grief will turn to joy when He returns to them. (Jesus here is referring to His death and resurrection)
·        Jesus instructs His disciples that when He does go away, they should go directly to the Father and ask for things in Jesus’ name.
·        Jesus confirms the Father’s love for His disciples.
·     Jesus explains that He will soon stop using figures of speech and speak plainly about the Father.
·   The disciples begin to understand what Jesus is saying and believe Jesus is all knowing and truly has come from God.
·        Jesus tells His disciples that in this world they will have trouble but to take heart because He has overcome the world.




Lesson: What do I learn from this passage?
·        Jesus tells His disciples in a figurative way that He is going to leave them and then return. Jesus is referring to His death and resurrection.

Jesus clearly told His disciples what was going to happen:

Mark 9:31 New International Version (NIV)
because he was teaching his disciples. He said to them, “The Son of Man is going to be delivered into the hands of men. They will kill him, and after three days he will rise.”

·        The Bible clearly explains that when Jesus died on the Cross the disciples scattered.

Why did the disciples scatter? Jesus had told them what was going to happen. Here are 3 reasons:

1.     The disciples could not grasp what Jesus was telling them.

Mark 9:32 New International Version (NIV)
But they did not understand what he meant and were afraid to ask him about it.

2.     The disciples were devastated by Jesus’ arrest and were filled with fear about their future.
3.     Fulfilled prophecy about the events surrounding the Cross.

Mark 14:46-50 New International Version (NIV)
46 The men seized Jesus and arrested him. 47 Then one of those standing near drew his sword and struck the servant of the high priest, cutting off his ear.
48 “Am I leading a rebellion,” said Jesus, “that you have come out with swords and clubs to capture me? 49 Every day I was with you, teaching in the temple courts, and you did not arrest me. But the Scriptures must be fulfilled.” 50 Then everyone deserted him and fled.

Yes the disciples were living in fear after Jesus’ arrest and death on the Cross but Jesus returns to them just like He promised!

John 20:19 New International Version (NIV)
Jesus Appears to His Disciples
19 On the evening of that first day of the week, when the disciples were together, with the doors locked for fear of the Jewish leaders, Jesus came and stood among them and said, “Peace be with you!”

The disciples sorrow turned to joy when Jesus appeared to them:
Luke 24:35-41 New Living Translation (NLT)
Jesus Appears to the Disciples
35 Then the two from Emmaus told their story of how Jesus had appeared to them as they were walking along the road, and how they had recognized him as he was breaking the bread. 36 And just as they were telling about it, Jesus himself was suddenly standing there among them. “Peace be with you,” he said. 37 But the whole group was startled and frightened, thinking they were seeing a ghost!
38 “Why are you frightened?” he asked. “Why are your hearts filled with doubt? 39 Look at my hands. Look at my feet. You can see that it’s really me. Touch me and make sure that I am not a ghost, because ghosts don’t have bodies, as you see that I do.” 40 As he spoke, he showed them his hands and his feet.
41 Still they stood there in disbelief, filled with joy and wonder. Then he asked them, “Do you have anything here to eat?”

·        Jesus reminds His disciples that when He leaves they can pray directly to the Father:

Matthew 18:19-20 New Living Translation (NLT)
19 “I also tell you this: If two of you agree here on earth concerning anything you ask, my Father in heaven will do it for you20 For where two or three gather together as my followers, I am there among them.”

·        Jesus even taught His disciples How to pray:

The Lord’s Prayer is a prayer Jesus taught His disciples:

Matthew 6:6-14 New International Version (NIV)
But when you pray, go into your room, close the door and pray to your Father, who is unseen. Then your Father, who sees what is done in secret, will reward you. And when you pray, do not keep on babbling like pagans, for they think they will be heard because of their many words. Do not be like them, for your Father knows what you need before you ask him.
“This, then, is how you should pray:
“‘Our Father in heaven,
hallowed be your name,
10 your kingdom come,
your will be done,
    on earth as it is in heaven.
11 Give us today our daily bread.
12 And forgive us our debts,
    as we also have forgiven our debtors.
13 And lead us not into temptation,
    but deliver us from the evil one.
14 For if you forgive other people when they sin against you, your heavenly Father will also forgive you.


Why should we pray if God already knows everything?


God commands us to pray:

Philippians 4:6-7 New International Version (NIV)
Do not be anxious about anything, but in every situation, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to GodAnd the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.

·        Prayer brings us connected and helps us remain close to God
·        Prayer helps us remain in the will of God
·        Prayer prepares us to make Godly decisions
·        Prayer helps us overcome the temptation to sin
·        Prayer helps protect us from the enemy’s schemes
·        Prayer strengthens us so we can deal with the difficult circumstances we will face as followers of Jesus
·        Prayer demonstrates our and trust faith in God
·        Prayer opens the door to Godly wisdom
·        Prayer reminds us of the importance of the needs of others
·        Prayer demonstrates our need for God
·        Prayer is an opportunity for us to worship, revere and glorify God



Even though we will face trials, sorrows, and difficulties, Jesus reminds us He has overcome the world.

God has a good purpose for those He loves:

Romans 8:28 New International Version (NIV)
And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose.


God allows us to face suffering and trials for good reasons:

Romans 5:3-5 New International Version (NIV)
Not only so, but we also glory in our sufferings, because we know that suffering produces perseverance; perseverance, character; and character, hope. And hope does not put us to shame, because God’s love has been poured out into our hearts through the Holy Spirit, who has been given to us.

James 1:2-5 New International Version (NIV)
Trials and Temptations
Consider it pure joy, my brothers and sisters, whenever you face trials of many kinds, because you know that the testing of your faith produces perseverance. Let perseverance finish its work so that you may be mature and complete, not lacking anythingIf any of you lacks wisdom, you should ask God, who gives generously to all without finding fault, and it will be given to you.


Jesus has overcome the world and only through Him do we have peace with God and salvation:

John 14:6 New International Version (NIV)
Jesus answered, “I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me.


Romans 5 New Living Translation (NLT)
Faith Brings Joy
Therefore, since we have been made right in God’s sight by faith, we have peace with God because of what Jesus Christ our Lord has done for usBecause of our faith, Christ has brought us into this place of undeserved privilege where we now stand, and we confidently and joyfully look forward to sharing God’s glory.


We must take to heart the reasons for our separation from God and what God has done to rescue us from eternal separation:
(Below passages referred to as the “Roman Road”)

Romans 3:23
All have sinned, and have fallen short of the Glory of God  

Romans 3:10-12
As it is written: “There is no one righteous, not even one; there is no one who understands; there is no one who seeks God. All have turned away, they have together become worthless; there is no one who does good, not even one.”

Romans 6:23
"For the wages of sin is death; but the gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord”  

Romans 5:8
"But God demonstrates His own love toward us, in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us."   


Romans 10:9
"that if you confess with your mouth Jesus as Lord, and believe in your heart that God raised Him from the dead, you will be saved."  


"for everyone who calls on the name of the Lord will be saved."


Therefore, we can rejoice in what Jesus has done to reconcile us back to God!


Application: How can I apply what I have learned to my life?
·        Grasp the way God is sovereign in all things and how when He says something is going to happen, it happens. An amazing amount of prophecy has already been fulfilled and that is evidence that God’s Word is truth.
·        Staying connected to God helps us rejoice in the spiritual blessings and to stayed focused on the work God has given us to do. If we lose our eternal perspective through focusing on the wrong things, we can be swayed into losing hope and to also miss opportunities to fulfill our calling aligned to God’s purpose.
·        Make prayer a daily and continuous event in your personal life.
·        Remind yourself that God is always present in your circumstances.




Don’t forget:

John’s main purpose in writing this Gospel:
·        To tell the world that Jesus is the Messiah for the Jews and Gentiles
·        The events were recorded so that we might believe and have eternal life

John 20:30-31 New International Version (NIV)
The Purpose of John’s Gospel
30 Jesus performed many other signs in the presence of his disciples, which are not recorded in this book. 31 But these are written that you may believe that Jesus is the Messiah, the Son of God, and that by believing you may have life in his name.

Questions to ponder:
·        How are you daily connecting with God, the source of all wisdom, the source of all life?
·        Are you praying specifically about your needs and others?
·        Are you praying that God’s answer to prayer will bring him glory?
·        Are you first confessing your sin before you pray?
·        Do you believe Jesus has overcome the world?








Have a great week…………….Dave






No comments:

Post a Comment