Wednesday, July 12, 2017

John Bible Study - Lesson 41

John Bible Study - Lesson 41

Read the passage below using the 2 different Bible translations:

John 16:1-15 New International Version (NIV)
16 “All this I have told you so that you will not fall away. They will put you out of the synagogue; in fact, the time is coming when anyone who kills you will think they are offering a service to God. They will do such things because they have not known the Father or me. I have told you this, so that when their time comes you will remember that I warned you about them. I did not tell you this from the beginning because I was with you, but now I am going to him who sent me. None of you asks me, ‘Where are you going?’ Rather, you are filled with grief because I have said these things. But very truly I tell you, it is for your good that I am going away. Unless I go away, the Advocate will not come to you; but if I go, I will send him to you. When he comes, he will prove the world to be in the wrong about sin and righteousness and judgment:about sin, because people do not believe in me; 10 about righteousness, because I am going to the Father, where you can see me no longer;11 and about judgment, because the prince of this world now stands condemned.
12 “I have much more to say to you, more than you can now bear. 13 But when he, the Spirit of truth, comes, he will guide you into all the truth. He will not speak on his own; he will speak only what he hears, and he will tell you what is yet to come. 14 He will glorify me because it is from me that he will receive what he will make known to you. 15 All that belongs to the Father is mine. That is why I said the Spirit will receive from me what he will make known to you.”


John 16:1-15 New Living Translation (NLT)
16 “I have told you these things so that you won’t abandon your faith.For you will be expelled from the synagogues, and the time is coming when those who kill you will think they are doing a holy service for God.This is because they have never known the Father or me. Yes, I’m telling you these things now, so that when they happen, you will remember my warning. I didn’t tell you earlier because I was going to be with you for a while longer.
The Work of the Holy Spirit
“But now I am going away to the one who sent me, and not one of you is asking where I am going. Instead, you grieve because of what I’ve told you. But in fact, it is best for you that I go away, because if I don’t, the Advocate[a] won’t come. If I do go away, then I will send him to you. And when he comes, he will convict the world of its sin, and of God’s righteousness, and of the coming judgment. The world’s sin is that it refuses to believe in me. 10 Righteousness is available because I go to the Father, and you will see me no more. 11 Judgment will come because the ruler of this world has already been judged.
12 “There is so much more I want to tell you, but you can’t bear it now.13 When the Spirit of truth comes, he will guide you into all truth. He will not speak on his own but will tell you what he has heard. He will tell you about the future. 14 He will bring me glory by telling you whatever he receives from me. 15 All that belongs to the Father is mine; this is why I said, ‘The Spirit will tell you whatever he receives from me.’


Note:
Here are the 3 questions for you to answer. I have given some basic answers below the questions to help you understand the passage. Answer the questions first yourself before you look at my answers. Take a moment before you begin and ask God to help you understand what you are reading.


3 questions to answer:
1.    Content: What is this passage about?
2.    Lesson: What do I learn from this passage?
3.    Application: How can I apply what I have learned to my life?


Answers to the questions above and some background:

Content: What is this passage about?
·        Jesus warns His disciples about the impending persecution of His followers.
·        Jesus tells His disciples that He must go so that the Holy Spirit will come.
·        Jesus tells the disciples about the Holy Spirit and the role the Holy Spirit will play in a believer’s life.




Lesson: What do I learn from this passage?
·        Jesus warns His disciples to be prepared to be persecuted for following Him.
·        Many unbelievers see the followers of Jesus as a threat, and so in thinking they are doing some good, they will take pleasure in persecuting them.

The good news is that Jesus has told us in advance that in this life we will experience trouble but that we should take heart because He has overcome the world:

John 16:33 New International Version (NIV)
 “I have told you these things, so that in me you may have peace. In this world you will have trouble. But take heart! I have overcome the world.”


·        Jesus tells His disciples about why He must go away.
·        Jesus confirms that when He goes away the Holy Spirit will come.


Bible prophecy and confirmation from Jesus concerning the Holy Spirit, emphasizes the importance of followers of Jesus receiving the Holy Spirit:  

Ezekiel 36:26-27 New International Version (NIV)
26 I will give you a new heart and put a new spirit in you; I will remove from you your heart of stone and give you a heart of flesh. 27 And I will put my Spirit in you and move you to follow my decrees and be careful to keep my laws.

Isaiah 44:3 New International Version (NIV)
For I will pour water on the thirsty land,
    and streams on the dry ground;
I will pour out my Spirit on your offspring,
    and my blessing on your descendants.

Isaiah 59:21 New International Version (NIV)
 “As for me, this is my covenant with them,” says the Lord. “My Spirit, who is on you, will not depart from you, and my words that I have put in your mouth will always be on your lips, on the lips of your children and on the lips of their descendants—from this time on and forever,” says the Lord.

Ezekiel 39:29 New International Version (NIV)
I will no longer hide my face from them, for I will pour out my Spirit on the people of Israel, declares the Sovereign Lord.”

Joel 2:28-29 New International Version (NIV)
The Day of the Lord
28 “And afterward,
    I will pour out my Spirit on all people.
Your sons and daughters will prophesy,
    your old men will dream dreams,
    your young men will see visions.
29 Even on my servants, both men and women,
    I will pour out my Spirit in those days.

Matthew 3:11 New International Version (NIV)
“I baptize you with water for repentance. But after me comes one who is more powerful than I, whose sandals I am not worthy to carry. He will baptize you with the Holy Spirit and fire.

Mark 1:8 New International Version (NIV)
I baptize you with water, but he will baptize you with the Holy Spirit.”

Acts 1:5 New International Version (NIV)
For John baptized with water, but in a few days you will be baptized with the Holy Spirit.”

Galatians 3:13-14 New Living Translation (NLT)
13 But Christ has rescued us from the curse pronounced by the law. When he was hung on the cross, he took upon himself the curse for our wrongdoing. For it is written in the Scriptures, “Cursed is everyone who is hung on a tree.” 14 Through Christ Jesus, God has blessed the Gentiles with the same blessing he promised to Abraham, so that we who are believers might receive the promised Holy Spirit through faith.

Acts 2:4 New International Version (NIV)
All of them were filled with the Holy Spirit and began to speak in other tongues as the Spirit enabled them.

 Ephesians 1:13-14 New Living Translation (NLT)
13 And now you Gentiles have also heard the truth, the Good News that God saves you. And when you believed in Christ, he identified you as his own by giving you the Holy Spirit, whom he promised long ago. 14 The Spirit is God’s guarantee that he will give us the inheritance he promised and that he has purchased us to be his own people. He did this so we would praise and glorify him.


·        The Holy Spirit  will convict the world of its sin, and reveal God’s righteousness, and of the coming judgment
·        The World’s sin can be explained by the rejection of Jesus as God’s chosen way of salvation.
·        Jesus reminds us that Satan, the ruler of this world, will be judged along with all those who reject Jesus as the Messiah.


Jesus reminds us of His mission:

John 12:27-32 New International Version (NIV)
27 “Now my soul is troubled, and what shall I say? ‘Father, save me from this hour’? No, it was for this very reason I came to this hour. 28 Father, glorify your name!”
Then a voice came from heaven, “I have glorified it, and will glorify it again.” 29 The crowd that was there and heard it said it had thundered; others said an angel had spoken to him.
30 Jesus said, “This voice was for your benefit, not mine. 31 Now is the time for judgment on this world; now the prince of this world will be driven out. 32 And I, when I am lifted up from the earth, will draw all people to myself.”


We all we have to answer to God for the way we have lived, but only those who reject Jesus will be condemned to eternal separation from God:
  
2 Corinthians 5:10 New Living Translation (NLT)
For we must all stand before Christ to be judged. We will each receive whatever we deserve for the good or evil we have done in this earthly body.

Romans 2:6-11 New International Version (NIV)
God “will repay each person according to what they have done.”  7 To those who by persistence in doing good seek glory, honor and immortality, he will give eternal life. But for those who are self-seeking and who reject the truth and follow evil, there will be wrath and anger.There will be trouble and distress for every human being who does evil: first for the Jew, then for the Gentile; 10 but glory, honor and peace for everyone who does good: first for the Jew, then for the Gentile. 11 For God does not show favoritism.

Hebrews 4:13 New International Version (NIV)
Nothing in all creation is hidden from God’s sight. Everything is uncovered and laid bare before the eyes of him to whom we must give account.

Matthew 12:36-37 New International Version (NIV)
36 But I tell you that everyone will have to give account on the day of judgment for every empty word they have spoken. 37 For by your words you will be acquitted, and by your words you will be condemned.”
Context: Jesus is warning the Pharisees of the coming judgment, at which they will be held accountable for their words 


So if we are accountable for our words and actions, we definitely need the Holy Spirit because the Holy Spirit guides us in the way we should act and live:

Galatians 5:22-23 New International Version (NIV)
22 But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, forbearance, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, 23 gentleness and self-control. Against such things there is no law.


·        We must take to heart the fact that that the Holy Spirit guides us into all truth.

The Holy Spirit will reveal to us Jesus’ desire for our lives and remind us of
His Words of wisdom and truth:

John 14:26 New International Version (NIV)
26 But the Advocate, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in my name, will teach you all things and will remind you of everything I have said to you.




Application: How can I apply what I have learned to my life?
·        Desire to lead a Spirit filled life.
·        Remember we are accountable for the way we live and speak.
·        Trust the Lord and the way the Holy Spirit is guiding your life.
·        Seek God’s will, pray continuously  and connect with Him daily.



Don’t forget:

John’s main purpose in writing this Gospel:
·        To tell the world that Jesus is the Messiah for the Jews and Gentiles
·        The events were recorded so that we might believe and have eternal life

John 20:30-31 New International Version (NIV)
The Purpose of John’s Gospel
30 Jesus performed many other signs in the presence of his disciples, which are not recorded in this book. 31 But these are written that you may believe that Jesus is the Messiah, the Son of God, and that by believing you may have life in his name.


Questions to ponder:
·        Am I living a Spirit filled life?
·        What do I fill myself with on a daily basis that either separates me or brings me closer to God?
·        Am I slow to speak, quick to listen and slow to anger.


Here is your guide for Holy Living:

Colossians 3 New International Version (NIV)
Living as Those Made Alive in Christ
Since, then, you have been raised with Christ, set your hearts on things above, where Christ is, seated at the right hand of God. Set your minds on things above, not on earthly things. For you died, and your life is now hidden with Christ in God. When Christ, who is your life, appears, then you also will appear with him in glory.
Put to death, therefore, whatever belongs to your earthly nature: sexual immorality, impurity, lust, evil desires and greed, which is idolatryBecause of these, the wrath of God is coming.You used to walk in these ways, in the life you once lived. But now you must also rid yourselves of all such things as these: anger, rage, malice, slander, and filthy language from your lipsDo not lie to each other, since you have taken off your old self with its practices 10 and have put on the new self, which is being renewed in knowledge in the image of its Creator.11 Here there is no Gentile or Jew, circumcised or uncircumcised, barbarian, Scythian, slave or free, but Christ is all, and is in all.
12 Therefore, as God’s chosen people, holy and dearly loved, clothe yourselves with compassion, kindness, humility, gentleness and patience. 13 Bear with each other and forgive one another if any of you has a grievance against someone. Forgive as the Lord forgave you.14 And over all these virtues put on love, which binds them all together in perfect unity.
15 Let the peace of Christ rule in your hearts, since as members of one body you were called to peace. And be thankful. 16 Let the message of Christ dwell among you richly as you teach and admonish one another with all wisdom through psalms, hymns, and songs from the Spirit, singing to God with gratitude in your hearts. 17 And whatever you do, whether in word or deed, do it all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through him.






Have a great week…………….Dave





No comments:

Post a Comment