Wednesday, March 15, 2017

John Bible Study - Lesson 25

John Bible Study - Lesson 25

Read the passage below using the 2 different Bible translations:

John 8:31-58 New International Version (NIV)
Dispute Over Whose Children Jesus’ Opponents Are
31 To the Jews who had believed him, Jesus said, “If you hold to my teaching, you are really my disciples. 32 Then you will know the truth, and the truth will set you free.”
33 They answered him, “We are Abraham’s descendants and have never been slaves of anyone. How can you say that we shall be set free?”
34 Jesus replied, “Very truly I tell you, everyone who sins is a slave to sin. 35 Now a slave has no permanent place in the family, but a son belongs to it forever. 36 So if the Son sets you free, you will be free indeed. 37 I know that you are Abraham’s descendants. Yet you are looking for a way to kill me, because you have no room for my word. 38 I am telling you what I have seen in the Father’s presence, and you are doing what you have heard from your father.”
39 “Abraham is our father,” they answered.
“If you were Abraham’s children,” said Jesus, “then you would do what Abraham did. 40 As it is, you are looking for a way to kill me, a man who has told you the truth that I heard from God. Abraham did not do such things. 41 You are doing the works of your own father.”
“We are not illegitimate children,” they protested. “The only Father we have is God himself.”
42 Jesus said to them, “If God were your Father, you would love me, for I have come here from God. I have not come on my own; God sent me.43 Why is my language not clear to you? Because you are unable to hear what I say. 44 You belong to your father, the devil, and you want to carry out your father’s desires. He was a murderer from the beginning, not holding to the truth, for there is no truth in him. When he lies, he speaks his native language, for he is a liar and the father of lies. 45 Yet because I tell the truth, you do not believe me! 46 Can any of you prove me guilty of sin? If I am telling the truth, why don’t you believe me? 47 Whoever belongs to God hears what God says. The reason you do not hear is that you do not belong to God.”
Jesus’ Claims About Himself
48 The Jews answered him, “Aren’t we right in saying that you are a Samaritan and demon-possessed?”
49 “I am not possessed by a demon,” said Jesus, “but I honor my Father and you dishonor me. 50 I am not seeking glory for myself; but there is one who seeks it, and he is the judge. 51 Very truly I tell you, whoever obeys my word will never see death.”
52 At this they exclaimed, “Now we know that you are demon-possessed!Abraham died and so did the prophets, yet you say that whoever obeys your word will never taste death. 53 Are you greater than our father Abraham? He died, and so did the prophets. Who do you think you are?”
54 Jesus replied, “If I glorify myself, my glory means nothing. My Father, whom you claim as your God, is the one who glorifies me. 55 Though you do not know him, I know him. If I said I did not, I would be a liar like you, but I do know him and obey his word. 56 Your father Abraham rejoiced at the thought of seeing my day; he saw it and was glad.”
57 “You are not yet fifty years old,” they said to him, “and you have seen Abraham!”
58 “Very truly I tell you,” Jesus answered, “before Abraham was born, I am!”

John 8:31-58 New Living Translation (NLT)
Jesus and Abraham
31 Jesus said to the people who believed in him, “You are truly my disciples if you remain faithful to my teachings. 32 And you will know the truth, and the truth will set you free.”
33 “But we are descendants of Abraham,” they said. “We have never been slaves to anyone. What do you mean, ‘You will be set free’?”
34 Jesus replied, “I tell you the truth, everyone who sins is a slave of sin.35 A slave is not a permanent member of the family, but a son is part of the family forever. 36 So if the Son sets you free, you are truly free.37 Yes, I realize that you are descendants of Abraham. And yet some of you are trying to kill me because there’s no room in your hearts for my message. 38 I am telling you what I saw when I was with my Father. But you are following the advice of your father.”
39 “Our father is Abraham!” they declared.
“No,” Jesus replied, “for if you were really the children of Abraham, you would follow his example. 40 Instead, you are trying to kill me because I told you the truth, which I heard from God. Abraham never did such a thing. 41 No, you are imitating your real father.”
They replied, “We aren’t illegitimate children! God himself is our true Father.”
42 Jesus told them, “If God were your Father, you would love me, because I have come to you from God. I am not here on my own, but he sent me. 43 Why can’t you understand what I am saying? It’s because you can’t even hear me! 44 For you are the children of your father the devil, and you love to do the evil things he does. He was a murderer from the beginning. He has always hated the truth, because there is no truth in him. When he lies, it is consistent with his character; for he is a liar and the father of lies. 45 So when I tell the truth, you just naturally don’t believe me! 46 Which of you can truthfully accuse me of sin? And since I am telling you the truth, why don’t you believe me? 47 Anyone who belongs to God listens gladly to the words of God. But you don’t listen because you don’t belong to God.”
48 The people retorted, “You Samaritan devil! Didn’t we say all along that you were possessed by a demon?”
49 “No,” Jesus said, “I have no demon in me. For I honor my Father—and you dishonor me. 50 And though I have no wish to glorify myself, God is going to glorify me. He is the true judge. 51 I tell you the truth, anyone who obeys my teaching will never die!”
52 The people said, “Now we know you are possessed by a demon. Even Abraham and the prophets died, but you say, ‘Anyone who obeys my teaching will never die!’ 53 Are you greater than our father Abraham? He died, and so did the prophets. Who do you think you are?”
54 Jesus answered, “If I want glory for myself, it doesn’t count. But it is my Father who will glorify me. You say, ‘He is our God,’ 55 but you don’t even know him. I know him. If I said otherwise, I would be as great a liar as you! But I do know him and obey him. 56 Your father Abraham rejoiced as he looked forward to my coming. He saw it and was glad.”
57 The people said, “You aren’t even fifty years old. How can you say you have seen Abraham?”
58 Jesus answered, “I tell you the truth, before Abraham was even born, I am!”

Note:
Here are the 3 questions for you to answer. I have given some basic answers below the questions to help you understand the passage. Answer the questions first yourself before you look at my answers. Take a moment before you begin and ask God to help you understand what you are reading.


3 questions to answer:
1.    Content: What is this passage about?
2.    Lesson: What do I learn from this passage?
3.    Application: How can I apply what I have learned to my life?


Answers to the questions above and some background:

Content: What is this passage about?
·        Jesus states that those who hold onto His teaching are truly His disciples
·        Jesus points out that His teaching is truth and His truth will set people free
·        The people not understanding what Jesus said, state that they are Abraham’s descendants and have never been slaves to anyone
·        Jesus points out that anyone who sins is a slave to sin
·        Jesus states that if He sets the people free they will truly be free
·        Jesus points out that some people are planning to kill Him cause they reject Him as the Messiah and His message of Salvation
·        Jesus tells the people if they were truly descendants of Abraham they would follow His example
·        Jesus tells the people that if God was there Father they would love Him cause the Father sent Him to fulfill God’s purpose of Salvation
·        Jesus tells the people they are children of the devil and that they love to do the evil things the devil does
·        Jesus gives a description of the devil’s character: He was a murderer from the beginning. He has always hated the truth, because there is no truth in him. When he lies, it is consistent with his character; for he is a liar and the father of lies
·        Again Jesus tells the people that they do not belong to God because anyone who belongs to God listens gladly to the words of God
·        The people accuse Jesus of being possessed by a demon
·        Jesus tells the people that if they obey His teaching they will never die
·        Jesus tells the people that Abraham rejoiced at the fact that God was going to send Him to be their Messiah
·        Jesus states: “I tell you the truth, before Abraham was even born, I am!”


Lesson: What do I learn from this passage?
·        Jesus tells us that we are truly His disciples if we remain faithful to His teachings. We also show that we love God by keeping His commands.

1 John 5:3 New International Version (NIV)
In fact, this is love for God: to keep his commands. And his commands are not burdensome

·        The truth of God’s Word sets us free. God’s Word is God’s truth and God speaks to us and tells us how to live a life set apart to Him, how to be saved from our sin, and how to receive eternal life.

Romans 12:1-2 New Living Translation (NLT)
A Living Sacrifice to God
And so, dear brothers and sisters, I plead with you to give your bodies to God because of all he has done for you. Let them be a living and holy sacrifice—the kind he will find acceptable. This is truly the way to worship him. Don’t copy the behavior and customs of this world, but let God transform you into a new person by changing the way you think. Then you will learn to know God’s will for you, which is good and pleasing and perfect.


Romans 6:6 New Living Translation (NLT)
 We know that our old sinful selves were crucified with Christ so that sin might lose its power in our lives. We are no longer slaves to sin.

Ephesians 2:8 New Living Translation (NLT)
God saved you by his grace when you believed. And you can’t take credit for this; it is a gift from God.

Acts 4:10-12The Message (MSG)
8-12 With that, Peter, full of the Holy Spirit, let loose: “Rulers and leaders of the people, if we have been brought to trial today for helping a sick man, put under investigation regarding this healing, I’ll be completely frank with you—we have nothing to hide. By the name of Jesus Christ of Nazareth, the One you killed on a cross, the One God raised from the dead, by means of his name this man stands before you healthy and whole. Jesus is ‘the stone you masons threw out, which is now the cornerstone.’ Salvation comes no other way; no other name has been or will be given to us by which we can be saved, only this one.”

Romans 10:13New Life Version (NLV)
For everyone who calls on the name of the Lord will be saved from the punishment of sin.


If the Bible isn’t infallible, inerrant, and flawless, you’re in a heap of trouble. The Bible tells you how you can be saved. It tells you that your life isn’t an accident. The Bible tells you how to be forgiven. It tells you how God can use you for good in the world. If the Bible isn’t true — absolutely true — then life is pointless. (Rick Warren)

·        Jesus accuses the people of not following the one true God but the god of this world. The minds of the people have been blinded from the truth of God’s Word and today we are in the same situation:

2 Corinthians 4:4 New Living Translation (NLT)
Satan, who is the god of this world, has blinded the minds of those who don’t believe. They are unable to see the glorious light of the Good News. They don’t understand this message about the glory of Christ, who is the exact likeness of God.

·        Satan is the Father of lies and He is out to destroy anything that is of God. We must always be on alert and not be deceived by the devil’s schemes:

1 Peter 5:8 New International Version (NIV)
Be alert and of sober mind. Your enemy the devil prowls around like a roaring lion looking for someone to devour.

Ephesians 6:11 New International Version (NIV)
Put on the full armor of Godso that you can take your stand against the devil’s schemes.

*Remember this about the devil:
He was a murderer from the beginning. He has always hated the truth, because there is no truth in him. When he lies, it is consistent with his character; for he is a liar and the father of lies

·        Anyone who belongs to God listens gladly to the words of God and will find blessing in their obedience:

Luke 11:28 New International Version (NIV)
He replied, “Blessed rather are those who hear the word of God and obey it.”

James 1:22 New International Version (NIV)
 Do not merely listen to the word, and so deceive yourselves. Do what it says.

·        Those who obey Jesus’ teaching will never die:

"Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

He who has the Son has the life; he who does not have the Son of God does not have the life. These things I have written to you who believe in the name of the Son of God, so that you may know that you have eternal life.


·        When we receive God’s truth and He makes His home with us we have assurance of His everlasting love.

John 14:21 New International Version (NIV)
Whoever has my commands and keeps them is the one who loves me. The one who loves me will be loved by my Father, and I too will love them and show myself to them.”

·        Jesus tells us that He was with God from the beginning and He is God the Son. Through Him all things were made:

John 1:1-4 New International Version (NIV)
The Word Became Flesh
In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. He was with God in the beginning. Through him all things were made; without him nothing was made that has been made.In him was life, and that life was the light of all mankind.

John 1:6-7 New International Version (NIV)
There was a man sent from God whose name was John. He came as a witness to testify concerning that light, so that through him all might believe.

John 10:30-33 New International Version (NIV)
I and the Father are one.”

·        Jesus was and is God, the second Person of the Godhead, equal to the Father in every way.

·        The violent response of the Jews to Jesus’ “I AM” statement indicates they clearly understood what He was declaring—that He was the eternal God incarnate. Jesus was equating Himself with the "I AM" title God gave Himself in Exodus 3:14.

Exodus 3:14 New International Version (NIV)
14 God said to Moses, “I am who I am. This is what you are to say to the Israelites: ‘I am has sent me to you.’”

·        Jesus used the same phrase “I AM” in seven declarations about Himself. In all seven, He combines I AM with tremendous metaphors which express His saving relationship toward the world. All appear in the book of John. They are I AM the Bread of Life (John 6:35414851); I AM the Light of the World (John 8:12); I AM the Door of the Sheep (John 10:79); I AM the Good Shepherd (John 10:11,14); I AM the Resurrection and the Life (John 11:25); I AM the Way, the Truth and the Life (John 14:6); and I AM the True Vine (John 15:15).



Application: How can I apply what I have learned to my life?
·        Remain faithful to Jesus’ teachings
·        Use your freedom in Christ to honor God 
·        Trust God’s Word and make it your standard for living
·        Pray for those who reject Jesus’ teachings in favor of worldly wisdom
·        Put on the full Armor of God to protect you from the devil’s schemes,
·        Armor of God link: https://www.gotquestions.org/full-armor-of-God.html


Don’t forget:

John’s main purpose in writing this Gospel:
·        To tell the world that Jesus is the Messiah for the Jews and Gentiles
·        The events were recorded so that we might believe and have eternal life

John 20:30-31 New International Version (NIV)
The Purpose of John’s Gospel
30 Jesus performed many other signs in the presence of his disciples, which are not recorded in this book. 31 But these are written that you may believe that Jesus is the Messiah, the Son of God, and that by believing you may have life in his name.

Questions to ponder:
·        Where in your life are you rejecting Jesus’ teaching?
·        If you are facing a spiritual battle are you choosing to fight in your own strength and wisdom?
·        Do you believe Jesus when He tells us Satan is real and that Satan is the father of lies?
·        Will you call on Jesus to help you against the devil’s schemes?
·        Will you trust God to set the course of your life?
·        Will you follow God even if it means having to give up some things?



Have a great week…………….Dave




No comments:

Post a Comment