Wednesday, December 28, 2016

John Bible Study - Lesson 14

John Bible Study - Lesson 14   

Read the passage below using the 2 different Bible translations:

John 5:16-30 New International Version (NIV)
The Authority of the Son
16 So, because Jesus was doing these things on the Sabbath, the Jewish leaders began to persecute him. 17 In his defense Jesus said to them, “My Father is always at his work to this very day, and I too am working.”18 For this reason they tried all the more to kill him; not only was he breaking the Sabbath, but he was even calling God his own Father, making himself equal with God.
19 Jesus gave them this answer: “Very truly I tell you, the Son can do nothing by himself; he can do only what he sees his Father doing, because whatever the Father does the Son also does. 20 For the Father loves the Son and shows him all he does. Yes, and he will show him even greater works than these, so that you will be amazed. 21 For just as the Father raises the dead and gives them life, even so the Son gives life to whom he is pleased to give it. 22 Moreover, the Father judges no one, but has entrusted all judgment to the Son, 23 that all may honor the Son just as they honor the Father. Whoever does not honor the Son does not honor the Father, who sent him.
24 “Very truly I tell you, whoever hears my word and believes him who sent me has eternal life and will not be judged but has crossed over from death to life. 25 Very truly I tell you, a time is coming and has now come when the dead will hear the voice of the Son of God and those who hear will live. 26 For as the Father has life in himself, so he has granted the Son also to have life in himself. 27 And he has given him authority to judge because he is the Son of Man.
28 “Do not be amazed at this, for a time is coming when all who are in their graves will hear his voice 29 and come out—those who have done what is good will rise to live, and those who have done what is evil will rise to be condemned. 30 By myself I can do nothing; I judge only as I hear, and my judgment is just, for I seek not to please myself but him who sent me.


John 5:16-30 New Living Translation (NLT)
Jesus Claims to Be the Son of God
16 So the Jewish leaders began harassing Jesus for breaking the Sabbath rules. 17 But Jesus replied, “My Father is always working, and so am I.”18 So the Jewish leaders tried all the harder to find a way to kill him. For he not only broke the Sabbath, he called God his Father, thereby making himself equal with God.
19 So Jesus explained, “I tell you the truth, the Son can do nothing by himself. He does only what he sees the Father doing. Whatever the Father does, the Son also does. 20 For the Father loves the Son and shows him everything he is doing. In fact, the Father will show him how to do even greater works than healing this man. Then you will truly be astonished. 21 For just as the Father gives life to those he raises from the dead, so the Son gives life to anyone he wants. 22 In addition, the Father judges no one. Instead, he has given the Son absolute authority to judge, 23 so that everyone will honor the Son, just as they honor the Father. Anyone who does not honor the Son is certainly not honoring the Father who sent him.
24 “I tell you the truth, those who listen to my message and believe in God who sent me have eternal life. They will never be condemned for their sins, but they have already passed from death into life.
25 “And I assure you that the time is coming, indeed it’s here now, when the dead will hear my voice—the voice of the Son of God. And those who listen will live. 26 The Father has life in himself, and he has granted that same life-giving power to his Son. 27 And he has given him authority to judge everyone because he is the Son of Man. 28 Don’t be so surprised! Indeed, the time is coming when all the dead in their graves will hear the voice of God’s Son, 29 and they will rise again. Those who have done good will rise to experience eternal life, and those who have continued in evil will rise to experience judgment. 30 I can do nothing on my own. I judge as God tells me. Therefore, my judgment is just, because I carry out the will of the one who sent me, not my own will.


Note:
Here are the 3 questions for you to answer. I have given some basic answers below the questions to help you understand the passage. Answer the questions first yourself before you look at my answers. Take a moment before you begin and ask God to help you understand what you are reading.


3 questions to answer:
1.    Content: What is this passage about?
2.    Lesson: What do I learn from this passage?
3.    Application: How can I apply what I have learned to my life?


Answers to the questions above and some background:

Content: What is this passage about?
·        The Jewish leaders harass Jesus for breaking the Sabbath rules and calling God HisHiiiHiHis Father
·        The Jewish leaders wanted to kill Jesus because He called God His own Father and made Himself equal with God
·        Jesus explains why He is doing good on the Sabbath
·        Jesus explains that He has authority to work and heal on the Sabbath
·        Jesus goes further to explain that the Father has given Him authority to give life, raise people from the dead, and to judge
·        Jesus explains how one can receive eternal life
·        Jesus prophesizes about the end times



Lesson: What do I learn from this passage?
·        Israel’s religious leaders were more concerned about following the letter of the law and their own traditions rather than living by the spirit of the law
·        God designed the Sabbath to be a delight not a burden to His people
·        The law: Remember the Sabbath by keeping it holy, meant for ordinary work to stop so people could focus on loving and worshipping God
·        Over the centuries the Jewish teachers added many of their own rules to God’s law
·        In the last lesson we understand that the man Jesus healed did not break God’s law, he simply carried His mat
·        Jesus affirmed His authority to heal on the Sabbath by saying “My Father is always at his work to this very day, and I too am working.” God never ceases to protect, preserve and direct His creation
·        When we don’t honor Jesus we are not honoring God
·        Followers of Jesus know His voice:

John 10:27  New International Version (NIV)
My sheep listen to my voice; I know them, and they follow me.

·        Followers of Jesus will never be condemned for their sins but will have eternal life
·        Jesus has the power to raise the spiritually and physically dead


·        The Father, Son and Holy Spirit continue to work together to redeem and restore humanity from the day sin entered the world
·        Jesus called God His Father thereby affirming their special relationship
·        We must understand the special Jesus has with the Father:

·        Jesus has the mind of God.

Jesus is both fully God and fully man:
(excerpt from Dr. Paul Enns)

The two natures of Christ are inseparably united without mixture or loss of separate identity. He remains forever the God-man, fully God and fully man, two distinct natures in one Person forever. Though Christ sometimes operated in the sphere of His humanity and in other cases in the sphere of His deity, in all cases what He did and what He was could be attributed to His one Person. Even though it is evident that there were two natures in Christ, He is never considered a dual personality. In summarizing the hypostatic union, three facts are noted:
(1) Christ has two distinct natures: humanity and deity
(2) There is no mixture or intermingling of the two natures
(3) Although He has two natures, Christ is one Person

Jesus proved His claim to equality with God in 3 ways:
1.     His absolute oneness with His Father
2.     His divine privileges that belong only to God
3.     The testimony to His divine authority

·        When Jesus said that “The Son can do nothing by Himself”, He was affirming His perfect obedience and submission to His Father, even to His death on the Cross
·        When Jesus said “Whatever the Father does the Son also does”, He was affirming His complete dependence on His Father. Jesus did not act on His own, but made sure that whatever the Father wanted to accomplish through Him happened.

The 3 aspects of Jesus’ relationship with the Father:
1.     Love and perfect community
2.     Mutual knowledge, understanding, cooperation and dependence on God
3.     Power and authority and desire to carry out the Fathers plan

The things the Father gives Jesus authority to do:
·        Give life, free people from the bondage of sin, give eternal life, give a new spiritual life and perspective, help pass people from death to a new life in Him
·        Judge all people (separate God’s people from those who reject Him)
·        Free God’s people from His wrath and condemnation

·        Yet the truth we must all face is that those who reject God will be judged, remain under God’s wrath and will face the payment for their own sin which will lead to spiritual death



Application: How can I apply what I have learned to my life?
·        Get to know Jesus so that you will in tune with His will for your life
·        Accept the fact that you can’t earn favor with God or try to be righteous on your accord in order that God will grant you eternal life
·        Try to understand why God sent Jesus and learn that He came to fulfill God’s purpose and plan of Salvation
·        Understand how God is working in you and through you for His kingdom purpose.


Don’t forget:

John’s main purpose in writing this Gospel:
·        To tell the world that Jesus is the Messiah for the Jews and Gentiles
·        The events were recorded so that we might believe and have eternal life

John 20:30-31 New International Version (NIV)
The Purpose of John’s Gospel
30 Jesus performed many other signs in the presence of his disciples, which are not recorded in this book. 31 But these are written that you may believe that Jesus is the Messiah, the Son of God, and that by believing you may have life in his name.

Questions to ponder:
·        What will I do with the knowledge I have?
·        Will I put my knowledge and faith into action?
·        How do I view the Sabbath, and do I use that time to honor, love and worship God?






Have a great week…………….Dave





No comments:

Post a Comment