Wednesday, October 12, 2016

John Bible Study - Lesson 3

John Bible Study - Lesson 3

Read the passage below using the 2 different Bible translations:

John 1:14-18 New International Version (NIV)
14 The Word became flesh and made his dwelling among us. We have seen his glory, the glory of the one and only Son, who came from the Father, full of grace and truth.
15 (John testified concerning him. He cried out, saying, “This is the one I spoke about when I said, ‘He who comes after me has surpassed me because he was before me.’”) 16 Out of his fullness we have all received grace in place of grace already given. 17 For the law was given through Moses; grace and truth came through Jesus Christ. 18 No one has ever seen God, but the one and only Son, who is himself God and is in closest relationship with the Father, has made him known.

John 1:14-18 Living Bible (NLT)
14 So the Word became human and made his home among us. He was full of unfailing love and faithfulness. And we have seen his glory, the glory of the Father’s one and only Son.
15 John testified about him when he shouted to the crowds, “This is the one I was talking about when I said, ‘Someone is coming after me who is far greater than I am, for he existed long before me.’”
16 From his abundance we have all received one gracious blessing after another. 17 For the law was given through Moses, but God’s unfailing love and faithfulness came through Jesus Christ. 18 No one has ever seen God. But the unique One, who is himself God, is near to the Father’s heart. He has revealed God to us.

Note:
Here are the 3 questions for you to answer. I have given some basic answers below the questions to help you understand the passage. Answer the questions first yourself before you look at my answers. Take a moment before you begin and ask God to help you understand what you are reading.


3 questions to answer:
1.    Content: What is this passage about?
2.    Lesson: What do I learn from this passage?
3.    Application: How can I apply what I have learned to my life?


Answers to the questions above and some background:

Content: What is this passage about?
·        John tells us who Jesus is.
·        John’s testimony points to Jesus as the Messiah
·        John tells us about Jesus’ purpose for coming
·        John tells us about Jesus’ relationship to God the Father


Lesson: What do I learn from this passage?
·        Jesus became a human being
·        Jesus was full of unfailing love and faithfulness
·        Jesus is God’s one and only Son and fully represents God’s glory
·        Jesus is the one John the Baptist was talking about who would come and be far greater than John, and who was eternal.
·        Jesus is the one who would bestow grace upon us and through Him we would be able to live in abundance.
·        The Law came through Moses, grace and truth through Jesus Christ.
·        Jesus is the one who has seen God, and Jesus reveals the true God to us.
·        Through Jesus we can find real truth, love and grace.
·        When we appropriate God’s blessings through Jesus, we can live joyfully knowing that God came to rescue us and bestow His unfailing love and grace upon us.



Application: How can I apply what I have learned to my life?
·        Take to heart what God’s Word says about Jesus.
·        Testify about God’s  love, truth and grace
·        Ask God to open your eyes to His truth and then decide to live with an eternal perspective.
·        Trust in God’s plan for all mankind


Don’t forget:

John’s main purpose in writing this Gospel:
·        To tell the world that Jesus is the Messiah for the Jews and Gentiles
·        The events were recorded so that we might believe and have eternal life

John 20:30-31 New International Version (NIV)
The Purpose of John’s Gospel
30 Jesus performed many other signs in the presence of his disciples, which are not recorded in this book. 31 But these are written that you may believe that Jesus is the Messiah, the Son of God, and that by believing you may have life in his name.

Questions to ponder:
·        How will I live now, knowing the truth about who Jesus is?
·        What can I do to know Jesus in a deeper and more intimate way?
·        What would it take to make God’s Word the truth that I live by?
·        Will I pray for Jesus to reveal Himself to me so I can know Him?
·        What would it take to give my life to Jesus?



Have a great week…………….Dave





1 comment: