Wednesday, August 2, 2017

John Bible Study - Lesson 44

John Bible Study - Lesson 44

Read the passage below using the 2 different Bible translations:

John 17:20-26 New International Version (NIV)
Jesus Prays for All Believers
20 “My prayer is not for them alone. I pray also for those who will believe in me through their message, 21 that all of them may be one, Father, just as you are in me and I am in you. May they also be in us so that the world may believe that you have sent me. 22 I have given them the glory that you gave me, that they may be one as we are one— 23 I in them and you in me—so that they may be brought to complete unity. Then the world will know that you sent me and have loved them even as you have loved me.
24 “Father, I want those you have given me to be with me where I am, and to see my glory, the glory you have given me because you loved me before the creation of the world.
25 “Righteous Father, though the world does not know you, I know you, and they know that you have sent me. 26 I have made you[a] known to them, and will continue to make you known in order that the love you have for me may be in them and that I myself may be in them.”


John 17:20-26 New Living Translation (NLT)
20 “I am praying not only for these disciples but also for all who will ever believe in me through their message. 21 I pray that they will all be one, just as you and I are one—as you are in me, Father, and I am in you. And may they be in us so that the world will believe you sent me.
22 “I have given them the glory you gave me, so they may be one as we are one. 23 I am in them and you are in me. May they experience such perfect unity that the world will know that you sent me and that you love them as much as you love me. 24 Father, I want these whom you have given me to be with me where I am. Then they can see all the glory you gave me because you loved me even before the world began!
25 “O righteous Father, the world doesn’t know you, but I do; and these disciples know you sent me. 26 I have revealed you to them, and I will continue to do so. Then your love for me will be in them, and I will be in them.”


Note:
Here are the 3 questions for you to answer. I have given some basic answers below the questions to help you understand the passage. Answer the questions first yourself before you look at my answers. Take a moment before you begin and ask God to help you understand what you are reading.


3 questions to answer:
1.    Content: What is this passage about?
2.    Lesson: What do I learn from this passage?
3.    Application: How can I apply what I have learned to my life?


Answers to the questions above and some background:

Content: What is this passage about?
·         Jesus prays for all believers


Lesson: What do I learn from this passage?
·        Jesus prays for all believers
·        Jesus prays for unity among all believers  

The Apostle Paul in his letter to the Ephesians also exhorts believers to be unified:

Ephesians 4:3-6 Living Bible (TLB)
Try always to be led along together by the Holy Spirit and so be at peace with one another.
We are all parts of one body, we have the same Spirit, and we have all been called to the same glorious futureFor us there is only one Lord, one faith, one baptismand we all have the same God and Father who is over us all and in us all, and living through every part of us.


·        When Jesus prays He is also praying for people to believe that He is the true Messiah sent to save His people.

·        I believe this prayer of Jesus continues with our generation. We have lots of proof from God’s Word, God Himself, and testimony from many people that Jesus really is the Messiah. Check out this link below and look at all these prophecies that Jesus fulfilled: https://www.thoughtco.com/prophecies-of-jesus-fulfilled-700159


·        Jesus states that He has given His disciples the same glory given to Him.
·        This glory Jesus speaks about is a special unity that unites believers with the God head (Father, Son and Holy Spirit). Like a tree, Jesus is the vine and we are His branches. In Him and through Him we can bear fruit and bring glory to God. The glory that believers share is that they can bear fruit for God’s Kingdom when they remain connected to the Vine, Jesus Christ:

John 15:1-8 New Living Translation (NLT)
Jesus, the True Vine
“I am the true grapevine, and my Father is the gardener. He cuts off every branch of mine that doesn’t produce fruit, and he prunes the branches that do bear fruit so they will produce even more. You have already been pruned and purified by the message I have given you.Remain in me, and I will remain in you. For a branch cannot produce fruit if it is severed from the vine, and you cannot be fruitful unless you remain in me.
“Yes, I am the vine; you are the branches. Those who remain in me, and I in them, will produce much fruit. For apart from me you can do nothingAnyone who does not remain in me is thrown away like a useless branch and withers. Such branches are gathered into a pile to be burned. But if you remain in me and my words remain in you, you may ask for anything you want, and it will be granted! When you produce much fruit, you are my true disciples. This brings great glory to my Father.


·        Also, believers are a new creation in Christ which can be deemed as a way believers share in God’s glory:

2 Corinthians 5:17 New Living Translation (NLT)
17 This means that anyone who belongs to Christ has become a new person. The old life is gone; a new life has begun!

Ephesians 4:22-24 New International Version (NIV)
22 You were taught, with regard to your former way of life, to put off your old self, which is being corrupted by its deceitful desires; 23 to be made new in the attitude of your minds; 24 and to put on the new self, created to be like God in true righteousness and holiness.


So, if believers are created to be like Christ then they share in His glory. But Christians know that if we share in His glory, they will also share in Jesus’ suffering:

Romans 8:17 New Living Translation (NLT)
And since we are his children, we are his heirs. In fact, together with Christ we are heirs of God’s glory. But if we are to share his glory, we must also share his suffering.


We need to understand how Jesus suffered:

Jesus suffered severely throughout His trials, torture, and crucifixion (. His suffering was physical: Isaiah 52:14 declares, “There were many who were appalled at Him—His appearance was so disfigured beyond that of any man and his form marred beyond human likeness.” His suffering was emotional: “All the disciples deserted him and fled” (Matthew 26:56). His suffering was spiritual: “God made him who had no sin to be sin for us” (2 Corinthians 5:21). Jesus had the weight of the sins of the entire world on Him (1 John 2:2). It was sin that caused Jesus to cry out, “My God, my God, why have you forsaken me?” (Matthew 27:46). Jesus’ brutal physical suffering was augmented by His having to bear the guilt of our sins and die to pay our penalty (Romans 5:8).
(From Gotquestions.org)


Followers of Jesus suffer because they bear His name and identity.  And they know that the unbelieving world hates Jesus and because of this Jesus tells them that they will be hated as well.

John 15:18-19 New Living Translation (NLT)
The World’s Hatred
18 If the world hates you, remember that it hated me first19 The world would love you as one of its own if you belonged to it, but you are no longer part of the world. I chose you to come out of the world, so it hates you.

·        Again we see those who share in Jesus’ glory also share in His suffering.


Here is the good news about suffering for Christ:

Romans 5:1-5 New International Version (NIV)
Peace and Hope
Therefore, since we have been justified through faith, we have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ, through whom we have gained access by faith into this grace in which we now stand. And we boast in the hope of the glory of God. Not only so, but we also glory in our sufferings, because we know that suffering produces perseverance; perseverance, character; and character, hope. And hope does not put us to shame, because God’s love has been poured out into our hearts through the Holy Spirit, who has been given to us.

James 1:2-5 New International Version (NIV)
Trials and Temptations
Consider it pure joy, my brothers and sisters, whenever you face trials of many kinds, because you know that the testing of your faith produces perseverance. Let perseverance finish its work so that you may be mature and complete, not lacking anything. If any of you lacks wisdom, you should ask God, who gives generously to all without finding fault, and it will be given to you.

John 16:33 New International Version (NIV)
 “I have told you these things, so that in me you may have peace. In this world you will have trouble. But take heart! I have overcome the world.”



As new creation in Christ believers have received the glory that comes with the inheritance of eternal life and the gift of faith. We are part of God’s glorious kingdom. We have received the Holy Spirit. We are given spiritual gifts to use for God’s glory. We are ambassadors for Christ.

John 3:5 New Living Translation (NLT)
Jesus replied, “I assure you, no one can enter the Kingdom of God without being born of water and the Spirit.


John 1:10-14 Living Bible (TLB)
10 But although he made the world, the world didn’t recognize him when he came. 11-12 Even in his own land and among his own people, the Jews, he was not accepted. Only a few would welcome and receive him. But to all who received him, he gave the right to become children of God. All they needed to do was to trust him to save them13 All those who believe this are reborn!—not a physical rebirth resulting from human passion or plan—but from the will of God.
14 And Christ became a human being and lived here on earth among us and was full of loving forgiveness* and truth. And some of us have seen his glory*—the glory of the only Son of the heavenly Father!*



Believers have been given a special purpose which includes serving God, sharing the hope they have and reflecting the love of Jesus and making an appeal to others to become followers of Jesus.

2 Corinthians 5:17-20New International Version (NIV)
17 Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, the new creation has come: The old has gone, the new is here! 18 All this is from God, who reconciled us to himself through Christ and gave us the ministry of reconciliation19 that God was reconciling the world to himself in Christ, not counting people’s sins against them. And he has committed to us the message of reconciliation20 We are therefore Christ’s ambassadors, as though God were making his appeal through us. We implore you on Christ’s behalf: Be reconciled to God.


Matthew 28:18-20 New International Version (NIV)
18 Then Jesus came to them and said, “All authority in heaven and on earth has been given to me. 19 Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit20 and teaching them to obey everything I have commanded you. And surely I am with you always, to the very end of the age.”


Acts 1:8 New International Version (NIV)
But you will receive power when the Holy Spirit comes on you; and you will be my witnesses in Jerusalem, and in all Judea and Samaria, and to the ends of the earth.”



Jesus’ prayer includes these important statements:
·        “Father, I want these whom you have given me to be with me where I am”
·        “your love for me will be in them, and I will be in them”


Jesus wants to be connected to His followers in a supernatural way and that is why the Holy Spirit was given to His people when Jesus left to be with the Father in heaven. The Holy Spirit is not only the sign, seal and assurance of salvation, but is also the way Jesus lives in His people, transforms their hearts and minds and works through them to share His message of salvation.  The truth is, believers are with Jesus and His love remains in them for eternity.

John 14:15-21 New International Version (NIV)
Jesus Promises the Holy Spirit
15 “If you love me, keep my commands. 16 And I will ask the Father, and he will give you another advocate to help you and be with you forever17 the Spirit of truth. The world cannot accept him, because it neither sees him nor knows him. But you know him, for he lives with you and will be in you18 I will not leave you as orphans; I will come to you.19 Before long, the world will not see me anymore, but you will see me. Because I live, you also will live. 20 On that day you will realize that I am in my Father, and you are in me, and I am in you21 Whoever has my commands and keeps them is the one who loves me. The one who loves me will be loved by my Father, and I too will love them and show myself to them.”

John 14:23 New International Version (NIV)
Jesus replied, “Anyone who loves me will obey my teaching. My Father will love them, and we will come to them and make our home with them.


Finally:
God in an amazing supernatural way is connected to the true followers of Jesus. For those who are connected to Jesus have a new life and a new purpose to live for the glory of God!


Application: How can I apply what I have learned to my life?
·        Do everything you can to stay connected to the Vine, Jesus.
·        Bear fruit for God’s kingdom by allowing the Holy Spirit to guide your thoughts and actions.
·        Pray for the non-believing world to come to know and receive Jesus as Lord and Savior.
·        Share your faith and the hope you have in Jesus.




Don’t forget:

John’s main purpose in writing this Gospel:
·        To tell the world that Jesus is the Messiah for the Jews and Gentiles
·        The events were recorded so that we might believe and have eternal life

John 20:30-31 New International Version (NIV)
The Purpose of John’s Gospel
30 Jesus performed many other signs in the presence of his disciples, which are not recorded in this book. 31 But these are written that you may believe that Jesus is the Messiah, the Son of God, and that by believing you may have life in his name.


Questions to ponder:
·        Are you praying for non-believers to receive Jesus as Lord and Savior?
·        In what ways are you supernaturally connected to God?
·        Does the Holy Spirit have access to your thoughts and actions?
·        What are you doing to break down the barriers that still keep you from fully living for God and His purpose?
·        How can you better reflect the love of Jesus in a world that hates Him and you because of your faith?







Have a great week…………….Dave






No comments:

Post a Comment