Wednesday, June 14, 2017

John Bible Study - Lesson 38

John Bible Study - Lesson 38

Read the passage below using the 2 different Bible translations:

John 14:15-31 New International Version (NIV)
Jesus Promises the Holy Spirit
15 “If you love me, keep my commands. 16 And I will ask the Father, and he will give you another advocate to help you and be with you forever—17 the Spirit of truth. The world cannot accept him, because it neither sees him nor knows him. But you know him, for he lives with you and will be[a] in you. 18 I will not leave you as orphans; I will come to you.19 Before long, the world will not see me anymore, but you will see me. Because I live, you also will live. 20 On that day you will realize that I am in my Father, and you are in me, and I am in you. 21 Whoever has my commands and keeps them is the one who loves me. The one who loves me will be loved by my Father, and I too will love them and show myself to them.”
22 Then Judas (not Judas Iscariot) said, “But, Lord, why do you intend to show yourself to us and not to the world?”
23 Jesus replied, “Anyone who loves me will obey my teaching. My Father will love them, and we will come to them and make our home with them. 24 Anyone who does not love me will not obey my teaching. These words you hear are not my own; they belong to the Father who sent me.
25 “All this I have spoken while still with you. 26 But the Advocate, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in my name, will teach you all things and will remind you of everything I have said to you. 27 Peace I leave with you; my peace I give you. I do not give to you as the world gives. Do not let your hearts be troubled and do not be afraid.
28 “You heard me say, ‘I am going away and I am coming back to you.’ If you loved me, you would be glad that I am going to the Father, for the Father is greater than I. 29 I have told you now before it happens, so that when it does happen you will believe. 30 I will not say much more to you, for the prince of this world is coming. He has no hold over me,31 but he comes so that the world may learn that I love the Father and do exactly what my Father has commanded me.
“Come now; let us leave.


John 14:15-31 New Living Translation (NLT)
Jesus Promises the Holy Spirit
15 “If you love me, obey[a] my commandments. 16 And I will ask the Father, and he will give you another Advocate,[b] who will never leave you. 17 He is the Holy Spirit, who leads into all truth. The world cannot receive him, because it isn’t looking for him and doesn’t recognize him. But you know him, because he lives with you now and later will be in you.[c] 18 No, I will not abandon you as orphans—I will come to you.19 Soon the world will no longer see me, but you will see me. Since I live, you also will live. 20 When I am raised to life again, you will know that I am in my Father, and you are in me, and I am in you. 21 Those who accept my commandments and obey them are the ones who love me. And because they love me, my Father will love them. And I will love them and reveal myself to each of them.”
22 Judas (not Judas Iscariot, but the other disciple with that name) said to him, “Lord, why are you going to reveal yourself only to us and not to the world at large?”
23 Jesus replied, “All who love me will do what I say. My Father will love them, and we will come and make our home with each of them.24 Anyone who doesn’t love me will not obey me. And remember, my words are not my own. What I am telling you is from the Father who sent me. 25 I am telling you these things now while I am still with you.26 But when the Father sends the Advocate as my representative—that is, the Holy Spirit—he will teach you everything and will remind you of everything I have told you.
27 “I am leaving you with a gift—peace of mind and heart. And the peace I give is a gift the world cannot give. So don’t be troubled or afraid.28 Remember what I told you: I am going away, but I will come back to you again. If you really loved me, you would be happy that I am going to the Father, who is greater than I am. 29 I have told you these things before they happen so that when they do happen, you will believe.
30 “I don’t have much more time to talk to you, because the ruler of this world approaches. He has no power over me, 31 but I will do what the Father requires of me, so that the world will know that I love the Father. Come, let’s be going.


Note:
Here are the 3 questions for you to answer. I have given some basic answers below the questions to help you understand the passage. Answer the questions first yourself before you look at my answers. Take a moment before you begin and ask God to help you understand what you are reading.


3 questions to answer:
1.    Content: What is this passage about?
2.    Lesson: What do I learn from this passage?
3.    Application: How can I apply what I have learned to my life?


Answers to the questions above and some background:

Content: What is this passage about?
·        Jesus tells His disciples that to those that believe in Him, the Spirit of Truth, the Holy Spirit, will be sent and remain with them forever.
·        Jesus tells the disciples that the Holy Spirit will guide them in all truth,
·        Jesus also says that the sinful world will reject the Holy Spirit.
·        Jesus says believers will know the Holy Spirit and at some point the Holy Spirit will live in every believer.
·        Jesus tells His disciples that He will be leaving but will not abandon them.
·        Jesus tells them that He will be raised to life again and that they will understand the spiritual connection between Jesus and the Father and all believers.
·        Jesus makes this very powerful statement: “Those who accept my commandments and obey them are the ones who love me. And because they love me, my Father will love them. And I will love them and reveal myself to each of them.”
·        Jesus tells His disciples that all who love Him will obey what He says.
          And that, “My Father will love them, and we will come and make our home
          with each of them.” Anyone who doesn’t love me will not obey me.”
·        Jesus reminds His disciples that what He is telling them is from the Father who sent Him.
·        Jesus tells His disciples: “when the Father sends the Advocate as my representative—that is, the Holy Spirit—he will teach you everything and will remind you of everything I have told you.”
·        Jesus promises peace for His disciples and tells them not to fear because even though Jesus will go away, He will come back to them.
·        Jesus tells His disciples He is going to be with the Father.
·        Jesus tells His disciples certain events that will come to pass in order to strengthen their belief in Him when those things He told them actually come about.
·        Jesus tells His disciples that Satan will be stepping up His game. He also said that the time is approaching to for Him to fulfill God’s plan proving His love for the Father. Jesus reassures His disciples that Satan has no power over Him.

Lesson: What do I learn from this passage?
·        Jesus promises to end the Holy Spirit.
·        50 days after Jesus returns to the Father, the Holy Spirit indwells in those who are followers of Jesus. This day is known as the Pentecost.

What does the word “Pentecost” mean?
The English word “Pentecost” is a transliteration of the Greek word pentekostos, which means “fifty.” It comes from the ancient Christian expression pentekoste hemera, which means “fiftieth day.” (Patheos - Mark D. Roberts)

This event is recorded in the New Testament book known as The Acts of the Apostles. Chapter 2:

Acts 2:1-13 New International Version (NIV)
The Holy Spirit Comes at Pentecost
When the day of Pentecost came, they were all together in one place.Suddenly a sound like the blowing of a violent wind came from heaven and filled the whole house where they were sitting. They saw what seemed to be tongues of fire that separated and came to rest on each of them. All of them were filled with the Holy Spirit and began to speak in other tongues as the Spirit enabled them.
Now there were staying in Jerusalem God-fearing Jews from every nation under heaven. When they heard this sound, a crowd came together in bewilderment, because each one heard their own language being spoken. Utterly amazed, they asked: “Aren’t all these who are speaking Galileans? Then how is it that each of us hears them in our native language? Parthians, Medes and Elamites; residents of Mesopotamia, Judea and Cappadocia, Pontus and Asia, 10 Phrygia and Pamphylia, Egypt and the parts of Libya near Cyrene; visitors from Rome 11 (both Jews and converts to Judaism); Cretans and Arabs—we hear them declaring the wonders of God in our own tongues!” 12 Amazed and perplexed, they asked one another, “What does this mean?”
13 Some, however, made fun of them and said, “They have had too much wine.”

What is Pentecost Sunday?

Pentecost Sunday is a commemoration and celebration of the receiving of the Holy Spirit by the early church. John the Baptist prophesied of the first Pentecost when Jesus would baptize with the Holy Spirit and with fire.

Matthew 3:11 New International Version (NIV)
 “I baptize you with water for repentance. But after me comes one who is more powerful than I, whose sandals I am not worthy to carry. He will baptize you with the Holy Spirit and fire.


Jesus confirmed this prophecy with the promise of the Holy Spirit to the disciples:

John 14:26 New International Version (NIV)
But the Advocate, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in my name, will teach you all things and will remind you of everything I have said to you.


·        Jesus states that whoever loves Him will obey His commands.
·        As believers we are called to obey Jesus teachings, surrender our will to God’s and die to self-interest. That is why it is important to read and study the bible. That is why it is important to apply what we have learned to our lives.

The Bible tells us about the importance of being doers of the Word:

James 1:22-25 New Living Translation (NLT)
22 But don’t just listen to God’s word. You must do what it says. Otherwise, you are only fooling yourselves. 23 For if you listen to the word and don’t obey, it is like glancing at your face in a mirror. 24 You see yourself, walk away, and forget what you look like. 25 But if you look carefully into the perfect law that sets you free, and if you do what it says and don’t forget what you heard, then God will bless you for doing it.


·        The Holy Spirit will teach followers of Jesus everything and will remind them of everything Jesus has said. That is why it is important to live a Spirit filled life. We all need wisdom, truth, direction, strength, peace, comfort, love and fellowship with God. The Holy Spirit is our connection to having a supernatural relationship with God.

We can either live according to the flesh or according to the Spirit:

Romans 8:5-11 New International Version (NIV)
Those who live according to the flesh have their minds set on what the flesh desires; but those who live in accordance with the Spirit have their minds set on what the Spirit desires. The mind governed by the flesh is death, but the mind governed by the Spirit is life and peaceThe mind governed by the flesh is hostile to God; it does not submit to God’s law, nor can it do so. Those who are in the realm of the flesh cannot please God.
You, however, are not in the realm of the flesh but are in the realm of the Spirit, if indeed the Spirit of God lives in you. And if anyone does not have the Spirit of Christ, they do not belong to Christ. 10 But if Christ is in you, then even though your body is subject to death because of sin, the Spirit gives life[a] because of righteousness. 11 And if the Spirit of him who raised Jesus from the dead is living in you, he who raised Christ from the dead will also give life to your mortal bodies because of[b] his Spirit who lives in you.

Galatians 5:16 New Living Translation (NLT)
Living by the Spirit’s Power
16 So I say, let the Holy Spirit guide your lives. Then you won’t be doing what your sinful nature craves.

The importance of living by the Spirit and not by the flesh:

Romans 8:13-14 New International Version (NIV)
13 For if you live according to the flesh, you will diebut if by the Spirit you put to death the misdeeds of the body, you will live.
14 For those who are led by the Spirit of God are the children of God

How to live by the Spirit:

Ephesians 4:20-24 New International Version (NIV)
20 That, however, is not the way of life you learned 21 when you heard about Christ and were taught in him in accordance with the truth that is in Jesus. 22 You were taught, with regard to your former way of life, to put off your old self, which is being corrupted by its deceitful desires;23 to be made new in the attitude of your minds; 24 and to put on the new self, created to be like God in true righteousness and holiness.

Romans 12:2 New International Version (NIV)
Do not conform to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind. Then you will be able to test and approve what God’s will is—his good, pleasing and perfect will.

·        Jesus tells us that the 2 greatest commandments are to love God and love our neighbor.

Matthew 22:35-40 New International Version (NIV)
35 One of them, an expert in the law, tested him with this question:36 “Teacher, which is the greatest commandment in the Law?”
37 Jesus replied: “‘Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.’ 38 This is the first and greatest commandment. 39 And the second is like it: ‘Love your neighbor as yourself.’ 40 All the Law and the Prophets hang on these two commandments.”

·        When we obey God’s Word and submit to His teaching that is the proof we love God.
·        The challenge we have is this: will we strive to live our lives that proves we love God and others? Will our most important identity be in Christ?
·        Our actions speak louder than our words to an unbelieving world.

·        Jesus is preparing His disciples to the day He will be crucified and He is also telling them not to fear for He will be raised to life again.
·        Looking back on what Jesus did we can be grateful and have assurance that everything Jesus has said will come to pass.
·        Followers of Jesus know that they are never alone because they have the Holy Spirit who continually reminds them of God’s love for His people.
·        On those days that they struggle believers know they have access to God through prayer and can always look to God’s Word for encouragement and strength. 

Jesus tells us to come to Him for rest and a place to unload our burdens:

Matthew 11:28-30 New International Version (NIV)
28 “Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. 29 Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. 30 For my yoke is easy and my burden is light.”

****What an awesome God we have who is filled with Grace, mercy compassion and love!



Application: How can I apply what I have learned to my life?
·        Connect with God every day through prayer, Bible Study, community with other believers, and being filled with the Holy Spirit.
·        Eliminate anything that hinders your relationship with God.
·        Go to Jesus for your rest, comfort, spiritual healing and supernatural love.
·        Live a Spirit filled life and maintain your eternal perspective even when you are faced with difficulties and distractions.
·        Love God with all your heart, soul, mind, and strength.
·        Love your neighbor as yourself.
·        Strive to obey Jesus’ teachings.

Don’t forget:

John’s main purpose in writing this Gospel:
·        To tell the world that Jesus is the Messiah for the Jews and Gentiles
·        The events were recorded so that we might believe and have eternal life

John 20:30-31 New International Version (NIV)
The Purpose of John’s Gospel
30 Jesus performed many other signs in the presence of his disciples, which are not recorded in this book. 31 But these are written that you may believe that Jesus is the Messiah, the Son of God, and that by believing you may have life in his name.

Questions to ponder:
·        In what ways are you living a Spirit filled life?
·        If not, what is hindering the Holy Spirit in your life?
·        How is the Holy Spirit transforming your life?
·        What are the things you do that prove you are obeying God’s Word?
·        How are you loving God with all you heart, soul, mind, and strength?
·        How are you loving your neighbor?
·        What actions are you taking to put on the new self?






Have a great week…………….Dave






No comments:

Post a Comment