Wednesday, May 10, 2017

John Bible Study - Lesson 33

John Bible Study - Lesson 33

Read the passage below using the 2 different Bible translations:

John 12:19-36 New International Version (NIV)
19 So the Pharisees said to one another, “See, this is getting us nowhere. Look how the whole world has gone after him!”
Jesus Predicts His Death
20 Now there were some Greeks among those who went up to worship at the festival. 21 They came to Philip, who was from Bethsaida in Galilee, with a request. “Sir,” they said, “we would like to see Jesus.” 22 Philip went to tell Andrew; Andrew and Philip in turn told Jesus.
23 Jesus replied, “The hour has come for the Son of Man to be glorified.24 Very truly I tell you, unless a kernel of wheat falls to the ground and dies, it remains only a single seed. But if it dies, it produces many seeds. 25 Anyone who loves their life will lose it, while anyone who hates their life in this world will keep it for eternal life. 26 Whoever serves me must follow me; and where I am, my servant also will be. My Father will honor the one who serves me.
27 “Now my soul is troubled, and what shall I say? ‘Father, save me from this hour’? No, it was for this very reason I came to this hour. 28 Father, glorify your name!”
Then a voice came from heaven, “I have glorified it, and will glorify it again.” 29 The crowd that was there and heard it said it had thundered; others said an angel had spoken to him.
30 Jesus said, “This voice was for your benefit, not mine. 31 Now is the time for judgment on this world; now the prince of this world will be driven out. 32 And I, when I am lifted up from the earth, will draw all people to myself.” 33 He said this to show the kind of death he was going to die.
34 The crowd spoke up, “We have heard from the Law that the Messiah will remain forever, so how can you say, ‘The Son of Man must be lifted up’? Who is this ‘Son of Man’?”
35 Then Jesus told them, “You are going to have the light just a little while longer. Walk while you have the light, before darkness overtakes you. Whoever walks in the dark does not know where they are going.36 Believe in the light while you have the light, so that you may become children of light.” When he had finished speaking, Jesus left and hid himself from them.


John 12:19-36 New Living Translation (NLT)
19 Then the Pharisees said to each other, “There’s nothing we can do. Look, everyone has gone after him!”
Jesus Predicts His Death
20 Some Greeks who had come to Jerusalem for the Passover celebration21 paid a visit to Philip, who was from Bethsaida in Galilee. They said, “Sir, we want to meet Jesus.” 22 Philip told Andrew about it, and they went together to ask Jesus.
23 Jesus replied, “Now the time has come for the Son of Man to enter into his glory. 24 I tell you the truth, unless a kernel of wheat is planted in the soil and dies, it remains alone. But its death will produce many new kernels—a plentiful harvest of new lives. 25 Those who love their life in this world will lose it. Those who care nothing for their life in this world will keep it for eternity. 26 Anyone who wants to serve me must follow me, because my servants must be where I am. And the Father will honor anyone who serves me.
27 “Now my soul is deeply troubled. Should I pray, ‘Father, save me from this hour’? But this is the very reason I came! 28 Father, bring glory to your name.”
Then a voice spoke from heaven, saying, “I have already brought glory to my name, and I will do so again.” 29 When the crowd heard the voice, some thought it was thunder, while others declared an angel had spoken to him.
30 Then Jesus told them, “The voice was for your benefit, not mine.31 The time for judging this world has come, when Satan, the ruler of this world, will be cast out. 32 And when I am lifted up from the earth, I will draw everyone to myself.” 33 He said this to indicate how he was going to die.
34 The crowd responded, “We understood from Scripture that the Messiah would live forever. How can you say the Son of Man will die? Just who is this Son of Man, anyway?”
35 Jesus replied, “My light will shine for you just a little longer. Walk in the light while you can, so the darkness will not overtake you. Those who walk in the darkness cannot see where they are going. 36 Put your trust in the light while there is still time; then you will become children of the light.”
After saying these things, Jesus went away and was hidden from them.


Note:
Here are the 3 questions for you to answer. I have given some basic answers below the questions to help you understand the passage. Answer the questions first yourself before you look at my answers. Take a moment before you begin and ask God to help you understand what you are reading.


3 questions to answer:
1.    Content: What is this passage about?
2.    Lesson: What do I learn from this passage?
3.    Application: How can I apply what I have learned to my life?


Answers to the questions above and some background:

Content: What is this passage about?
·    The Pharisees are determined to undermine and kill Jesus due to the fact many people are beginning to follow Him.
·        Greeks who came to Jerusalem for the Passover celebration asked Phillip if they could meet Jesus.
·        Phillip and Andrew tell Jesus about the Greeks who want to meet Him.
·        Jesus then tells Phillip and Andrew the time has come for Him to be glorified and gives the illustration of the kernel of wheat.
·        A voice from Heaven is heard saying “I have already brought glory to my name, and I will do so again.” 
·        Jesus tells them that Satan will be cast out.
·        Jesus tells them how He will die.
·        The crowd responded by saying, “We understood from Scripture that the Messiah would live forever. How can you say the Son of Man will die? Just who is this Son of Man, anyway?”
·        Jesus replied, “My light will shine for you just a little longer. Walk in the light while you can, so the darkness will not overtake you. Those who walk in the darkness cannot see where they are going. Put your trust in the light while there is still time; then you will become children of the light.”
·        After saying these things, Jesus went away and was hidden from them.




Lesson: What do I learn from this passage?
·        Jesus is becoming popular with the people and the Pharisees are very concerned about it.
·        Even Greeks, symbolic of all the Gentiles, are interested in getting to know Jesus.
·        Jesus’ gospel is for the entire world.

Romans 1:16 New International Version (NIV)
For I am not ashamed of the gospel, because it is the power of God that brings salvation to everyone who believes: first to the Jew, then to the Gentile.

Followers of Jesus are the Lord’s servants commissioned to bring the Gospel to everyone. Jesus is the light for the Jews and Gentiles:

Isaiah 49:1-6 New Living Translation (NLT)
The Lord’s Servant Commissioned
Listen to me, all you in distant lands!
    Pay attention, you who are far away!
The Lord called me before my birth;
    from within the womb he called me by name.
He made my words of judgment as sharp as a sword.
    He has hidden me in the shadow of his hand.
    I am like a sharp arrow in his quiver.
He said to me, “You are my servant, Israel,
    and you will bring me glory.”
I replied, “But my work seems so useless!
    I have spent my strength for nothing and to no purpose.
Yet I leave it all in the Lord’s hand;
    I will trust God for my reward.”
And now the Lord speaks—
    the one who formed me in my mother’s womb to be his servant,
    who commissioned me to bring Israel back to him.
The Lord has honored me,
    and my God has given me strength.
He says, “You will do more than restore the people of Israel to me.
    I will make you a light to the Gentiles,
    and you will bring my salvation to the ends of the earth.”


·        So when Jesus gave His disciples the illustration of the kernels of wheat He was explaining that without the death and burial of the kernels of wheat there would be no new crop.  The death of the kernel of wheat will reproduce new life and in the same way Jesus’ glorification illustrates that His death and resurrection brings about new life for all who believe. Without His death no one would be saved. So one could say Jesus’ death produces a crop of believers who are harvested and brought into the Kingdom of Heaven.
·        Jesus’ death preceded His resurrection which guaranteed eternal life to those who believe in Him and who are considered His followers.
·        A believer’s transformation includes death to their old way of living. Believers are called to share their hope and bring the gospel (Good News) to the world. Also, their lives reflect a transformation from a self-centered life to a God-centered life. This new life in Christ is a big factor in proving that God has the power to make positive changes in those who have faith and follow Him.  When we surrender our lives to Jesus, and become His followers, we begin the process of dying to self, we gain a new eternal perspective and a new purpose, and we have inherited eternal life.

The Bible tells us about the importance of dying to self-interest:

Matthew 16:25 New International Version (NIV)
For whoever wants to save their life will lose it, but whoever loses their life for me will find it.

Luke 9:23 ESV  
And he said to all, “If anyone would come after me, let him deny himself and take up his cross daily and follow me.

And those who belong to Christ Jesus have crucified the flesh with its passions and desires.

Mark 8:35 ESV  
For whoever would save his life will lose it, but whoever loses his life for my sake and the gospel’s will save it.

Ephesians 4:22-24 New International Version (NIV)
22 You were taught, with regard to your former way of life, to put off your old self, which is being corrupted by its deceitful desires; 23 to be made new in the attitude of your minds; 24 and to put on the new self, created to be like God in true righteousness and holiness

God never stops working in a believer’s life:

Philippians 1:6 New International Version (NIV)
being confident of this, that he who began a good work in you will carry it on to completion until the day of Christ Jesus.

A follower of Jesus has a renewed mind. The Holy Spirit and God’s Word play an import role in renewing the mind:

Romans 12:2 New International Version (NIV)
Do not conform to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind. Then you will be able to test and approve what God’s will is—his good, pleasing and perfect will.

·        Jesus was distressed about the results of sin and death in the world. He was even feeling the weight of having to suffer and die on the cross.
·        But Jesus emphasized that His purpose was to rescue people from the consequences of sin and spiritual death and for this He was willing to suffer and die.
·        This work of Jesus would bring Glory to God. And many people heard a thunderous voice from heaven saying: “I have already brought glory to my name, and I will do so again.” This voice from the Father was a confirmation from God that Jesus’ work on the cross would glorify God. Glorifying God means to acknowledge His greatness and give Him honor by praising and worshiping Him, primarily because He and He alone, deserves to be praised, honored and worshipped. God’s glory is the essence of His nature, and we give glory to Him by recognizing that essence.(excerpt from Got Questions.org)
·        Jesus explains to the people that the voice was for their benefit as it would strengthen their faith in Jesus.
·        Jesus tells the people the hour of judgment has come where Satan, the ruler of this world, would be cast out. Since the fall of man Satan has held power over fallen humanity.
·        Jesus explains that he would be crucified. He used the term lifted up.
·        Jesus also explains that His death would bring salvation to the Jews and the Gentiles.
·        The crowd responded to Jesus’ claims by saying: “We understood from Scripture that the Messiah would live forever. How can you say the Son of Man will die? Just who is this Son of Man, anyway?”
·        Jesus tells the crowd to walk in the light and trust in the light so that they may become children of light. Jesus explains His light would shine for them for just a little longer. Jesus was referring to His upcoming death on the cross.
·        When we trust in Jesus and walk by faith in His light we no longer live in darkness.

John 1:1-14 New International Version (NIV)
The Word Became Flesh
In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. He was with God in the beginning. Through him all things were made; without him nothing was made that has been made.In him was life, and that life was the light of all mankind. The light shines in the darkness, and the darkness has not overcome it.
There was a man sent from God whose name was John. He came as a witness to testify concerning that light, so that through him all might believe. He himself was not the light; he came only as a witness to the light.
The true light that gives light to everyone was coming into the world.10 He was in the world, and though the world was made through him, the world did not recognize him. 11 He came to that which was his own, but his own did not receive him. 12 Yet to all who did receive him, to those who believed in his name, he gave the right to become children of God—13 children born not of natural descent, nor of human decision or a husband’s will, but born of God.
14 The Word became flesh and made his dwelling among us. We have seen his glory, the glory of the one and only Son, who came from the Father, full of grace and truth.

·        Because of what Jesus did people who surrender their lives to Him become spiritually alive and inherit eternal life. In God’s kingdom surrender is victory!

God does not want anyone to perish:

2 Peter 3:9 New International Version (NIV)
The Lord is not slow in keeping his promise, as some understand slowness. Instead he is patient with you, not wanting anyone to perish, but everyone to come to repentance.


Application: How can I apply what I have learned to my life?
·        We must put away the old self and live with the power of the Holy Spirit.
·        The Holy Spirit is working constantly to transform believers so they realign their hearts and minds for God’s purpose and glory. We must do everything possible to not interfere with the Holy Spirits work.
·        We must walk in Jesus’ light and do everything to confront any darkness that lingers in us.
·        We must help others to walk in the light of Christ.


Don’t forget:

John’s main purpose in writing this Gospel:
·        To tell the world that Jesus is the Messiah for the Jews and Gentiles
·        The events were recorded so that we might believe and have eternal life

John 20:30-31 New International Version (NIV)
The Purpose of John’s Gospel
30 Jesus performed many other signs in the presence of his disciples, which are not recorded in this book. 31 But these are written that you may believe that Jesus is the Messiah, the Son of God, and that by believing you may have life in his name.

Questions to ponder:
·        What changes do you believe the Holy Spirit wants to make in you?
·        What work has God given you to do?
·        Where in your life do you need to die to self?





Have a great week…………….Dave







No comments:

Post a Comment