Wednesday, October 30, 2013

Experiencing God's Presence



Experiencing God's Presence

Years ago I remember visiting  my Dad's home in New Hampshire. The house where he lived was located right next to a beautiful picturesque lake. Imagine this, each morning being able to wake up and look out on this beautiful lake and experience the quiet serenity of still glassy water reflecting the beautiful landscape and tree lined hills. Looking out to the rolling hills of the countryside you experience an awesome display of assorted uniquely designed New England homes which surround the area. Each evening you can see the reflection of the moon on the quiet still water while the stars twinkle above. And if you pay attention, you can hear the frogs and crickets joyfully singing their songs into the night.

Because of my Dad’s failing health at the time, I wondered if my visit to see him would be my last with him and to this exquisitely beautiful and peaceful place, so I tried to savor each and every moment. To help me capture and enhance my experience I decided that during this visit I would take a boat ride around the lake. As I shut off the engine and let the boat rest in the center of the lake, I closed my eyes to meditate and let my thoughts capture the peaceful moment.  Yet, as time passed, a thought came to me; as hard as I tried to capture the moment and slow down time inside my heart and mind, I realized moments are just that, and would not have the effect of eternal bliss the way I wanted them to be experienced. I realized we just can’t hold on to the things of this world and have them last forever. Yes, I can have memories, but they are never as powerful as being at that place at that time where life seems to stand still.

So, what can we experience everyday that fills us with supernatural peace and perspective? We can experience a powerful daily relationship with Jesus. With Him time does stand still. He promises to  always be with those who love Him. Since my fathers death I only have the memories of our time and relationship together. The good news is that my Heavenly Father is always with me and I can experience His presence in every moment.
 
John 14:23 New International Version (NIV)

Jesus replied, “Anyone who loves me will obey my teaching. My Father will love them, and we will come to them and make our home with them.
As His disciples and throughout our lives as His ambassadors sharing the Gospel, Jesus promises to remain with us:

Matthew 28:18-20 New International Version (NIV)
Then Jesus came to them and said, “All authority in heaven and on earth has been given to me. Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, and teaching them to obey everything I have commanded you. And surely I am with you always, to the very end of the age.”

What I know to be true is that Jesus is always with me when I experience the joyful moments of life as well as times of difficulty and sorrow.  I can also experience being filled with the Holy Spirit when I choose to walk with God. I can experience God’s blessing as I serve Him and the people He puts in my care. I can experience special time with God as I take time to pray and read and study His Word. 


I realize the time we have been given on this earth offers us a great opportunity for us to experience God while doing something good for others. That is why each day should not be taken for granted. As Followers of Jesus, knowing what we know should spur us on to share the Good News with those who God puts in our path.  Yes, It may be difficult to do this because there are those who reject God outright, but there are ways to share what God is doing in our lives in such a way that could peak someone’s interest. Jesus tells us that there will be suffering for those who identify themselves with Him, but in light of eternity and the positive impact we can make in a fallen and broken world, it is well worth it. We can plant the seeds of hope in those who are suffering, and give hope to those who have no hope at all.

Here is a great passage to take to heart: 


1 Peter 3:13-17 NIV

Who is going to harm you if you are eager to do good? But even if you should suffer for what is right, you are blessed. "Do not fear what they fear; do not be frightened.” But in your hearts set apart Christ as Lord. Always be prepared to give an answer to everyone who asks you to give the reason for the hope that you have. But do this with gentleness and respect, keeping a clear conscience, so that those who speak maliciously against your good behavior in Christ may be ashamed of their slander. It is better, if it is God's will, to suffer for doing good than for doing evil.


I have also learned that there is something even better than a picturesque boat ride. We have God’s Word to reflect upon each day.  When I am reminded of a particular passage of scripture, it brings me back to that place and time where this particular passage of God’s Word became alive and relevant to me personally. The power of God's Word enters my heart and breathes new life back into me and continues to open new doors of thought and revelation. God’s Word deepens and strengthens my relationship and walk with Jesus and helps me live in abundance while giving purpose to my life. So it is good to know that God’s Word stays with us and can replenish us in a world that can never live up to our expectations or desires. Reflecting on God's Word is how we can experience and be filled with God's presence in any moment. This is how we can revere Him and Worship Him no matter where we are.  



As I look back and try to experience the memories of my time with my Dad and the boat ride on the lake, I can only really remember some of the thoughts and images that have stuck with me over time.
 
What is real to me at this moment is that I am in God’s powerful presence, sharing the love I have for Him and all He has done to change my heart and my perspective. 




Just Sayin…………………..Dave










No comments:

Post a Comment