Tuesday, August 27, 2013

From The Inside Out



From The Inside Out
When I became a true follower of Jesus I became more than just a better person. As a true follower of Jesus I was transformed into whole new person with a new identity in Christ and whose life is now set apart for God's purpose.  At this stage of my life, God continues this metamorphosis that won’t be complete until my complete transformation when I receive my heavenly body.

The Process:

Justification:
  • God's act of declaring or making a sinner righteous before Him through Jesus’ work on the cross.
  • Declared free from the penalty of sin.

Sanctification:
  • God’s act by which believers become more and more conformed to Christ’s image.
  • A lifetime process a believer goes through to become Holy and set apart for God’s purpose with the help of the Holy Spirit.

Glorification:
  • The final phase of the transformation process whereby we receive our imperishable bodies after the second coming of Christ.

1 Corinthians 15:42-44
So will it be with the resurrection of the dead. The body that is sown is perishable, it is raised imperishable; it is sown in dishonor, it is raised in glory; it is sown in weakness, it is raised in power; it is sown a natural body, it is raised a spiritual body.


Until that time, my goals are to be more Christ-like so others will benefit, to live life with an eternal purpose and perspective, and to serve God carrying out the mission of the Church through what God has gifted and called me to do.

In the past, since becoming a follower of Jesus, I did not have the same amount faith that I have now, but through the work of the Holy Spirit, my heart has changed and those changes have been a benefit to me, my family and others. Yet, I would have to say that I wrestled with God through a lot of the life changes that were made, but thankfully, God is a much better wrestler than I am.  In fact, knowing myself, I would have never chosen the life I am living now. God has transformed me from the inside out, not from anything I have done, but through what Jesus has done. God’s desire to give my life some eternal purpose was
solely based on His decision. He decided to have compassion on me opening to me the floodgates of heaven.  I still kick myself wondering why God would choose me. I am reminded everyday that without God, none of the joy and blessing I have now would be possible. This verse reminds me why God might be using me for His kingdom purpose:

1 Corinthians 1:27-31 NIV
But God chose the foolish things of the world to shame the wise; God chose the weak things of the world to shame the strong. He chose the lowly things of this world and the despised things—and the things that are not—to nullify the things that are, so that no one may boast before him. It is because of him that you are in Christ Jesus, who has become for us wisdom from God—that is, our righteousness, holiness and redemption. Therefore, as it is written: "Let him who boasts boast in the Lord.

If you would have known me before Jesus came into my life you would have seen the large “I’m a fool” sign resting on top of my head. You would have heard words that mocked God. You would have seen a lifestyle that rivals the ones portrayed in the movie “Animal House”.  But I am not that person anymore. I am a new creation in Christ and I am thankful that God had mercy on me and allowed me to live through the years that I experimented with life without Him.  Now that I have been transformed and have been adopted into God’s family,
I know longer desire to live a self serving life.  However, there are still times when I mess up and get self-focused. So therefore, it is still important for me to daily confess and repent from my sins. The good news is that I have the assurance of God’s forgiveness which continues to be essential to my walk and relationship with God.  When I mess up I am reminded that I still need God’s Word to instruct me and direct my life. God’s Word is full of instruction and teaches me to live life with a Godly perspective. Here are some passages that reinforce this principle:

Ephesians 4:22-24 NIV
You were taught, with regard to your former way of life, to put off your old self, which is being corrupted by its deceitful desires; to be made new in the attitude of your minds; and to put on the new self, created to be like God in true righteousness and holiness.

Romans 12:1-2 NIV 
Therefore, I urge you, brothers, in view of God's mercy, to offer your bodies as living sacrifices, holy and pleasing to God—this is your spiritual  act of worship.  Do not conform any longer to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind. Then you will be able to test and approve what God's will is—his good, pleasing and perfect will.

Proverbs 3:5-6 NIV
Trust in the LORD with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding;
in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make your paths straight
Do not be wise in your own eyes; fear the LORD and shun evil.

For me, just claiming to be a Christian and serving God is not enough. I believe God continues to this day to desire to transform me from the inside out so I become more like Christ. His desire has now become my desire too.  Since I began to seriously focus on my spiritual growth, my relationship with God has become more intimate, more joyful and more trusting of His Lordship. Some of the major issues I have struggled with in the past have now been placed in His hands. I continually live and wait expectantly for God’s answer to prayer and see difficult circumstances as an opportunity to exercise my faith.One thing I have learned about God is that He has perfect timing. So if His timing is perfect, I should be willing to wait. Boy, I wish I could do that perfectly but I have come to realize that I am a "Terrible Waiter"!

 God has a good purpose for those who love Him. This next verse reassures me of that:

Romans 8:28 NIV
And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose.


Since becoming a Follower of Jesus, I wake up each day thanking God for another day of life. Each day I eagerly await for God to do His work through me, to serve His purpose and for me in some way to edify His kingdom and hopefully be a blessing to others.

In this new life I have been graciously given, I have the honor and privilege to reflect some of God’s Glory. I know the more and more I become like Christ, the more and more God’s Glory will be seen in my life. 

2 Corinthians 3:16-18 NLT
But whenever someone turns to the Lord, the veil is taken away.  For the Lord is the Spirit, and wherever the Spirit of the Lord is, there is freedom.  So all of us who have had that veil removed can see and reflect the glory of the Lord. And the Lord—who is the Spirit—makes us more and more like him as we are changed into his glorious image.

So now I can be thankful there is some substance to my life and not just a bunch of hype. Yet my struggle continues as I question myself about the motives behind my words and deeds. Are they truly for God, or are they for myself?  The truth is, I am still a work in progress. I know I need the Holy Spirit to continue to conform me to the image of Jesus' by continuing to transform me from the inside out. My challenge continues to be this:  “whoever claims to live in Him must walk as Jesus did” (I John 2:6).



Just Sayin……………….………..Dave










No comments:

Post a Comment