Tuesday, July 2, 2013

Spiritual Battle And The Desire To Live At The Beach



Spiritual  Battle And The Desire To Live At The Beach

Ephesians 6:12 NIV
For our struggle is not against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the authorities,
against the powers of this dark world and against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly realms.

Just when I think everything is going OK, when I’m thinking life is good; I’m starting to chill; Family, ministry and spiritual growth are high up on the priority list; it is usually at this point the enemy begins his attacks. Subtle distraction at first and then total turmoil envelopes my heart and my mind. Why does this happen? Why can’t I just be left alone? Unfortunately for believers we have an enemy that doesn’t want us to do God’s work nor deepen our intimacy with Christ or spend time in prayer. If He can distract us by getting us focused on ourselves and overload us with thought consuming circumstances, our kingdom good gets delayed and we get dismayed.

Depending upon my spiritual condition, I can usually get through these attacks rather quickly. Other times my mind just won’t stop thinking about those deceiving and debilitating thoughts that are filled with self doubt, lack of kingdom worthiness, self indulgence and temptation that twist my perspective.

Unfortunately, there are times when I dwell on those thoughts so I can throw myself a huge pity party and earn the coveted victim of the “world” medal of honor.  Based on flawed thinking that I can run away from my problems, I have also fantasized about escaping from this part of the country (NOVA), to live in Florida at the beach, where I would eat seafood and play golf regularly while earning a modest living playing music at the local tourist hangout. I would also supplement my income by opening Dave's Bait and Tackle Shop along with becoming a Fishing Boat charter Captain taking folks into the high seas for the catch of the day. I even considered running away to Alaska so I could be a greenhorn on the show "The Deadliest Catch".

However, considering these options for a new life are rather short lived as I am reminded I don’t care much for “playing beach music”. I would not be able to manage a bait and Tackle Shop. There is a less than 10% chance I would be a successful Boat Captain.  Nor would I survive flailing around on the deck of a Bering Sea fishing vessel in freezing cold weather and 30 foot seas. My wife Deena told me I would not last 30 seconds on that fishing vessel and would probably be laughed off the show or just fall off the ship and become a permanent resident in Davey Jones Locker.

There is a greater reason for me not escaping my circumstances. I have learned to trust God fully in all areas of my life. I still struggle and wrestle with things yet I am committed to an intimate relationship with God and serving Him whenever and wherever He wants me to. Although, I must be honest with you, I have been thinking a lot about Golf, the Beach and my hankering for Red Snapper and Crab Legs these days.

So, I must be aware that Spiritual attacks come in all shapes and sizes. Sometimes subtle, they seem innocent at first look, but the consequences of acting either in fear of retreat can have enormous implications, especially for those dedicated to following and serving God.
Remember, we have an enemy who prowls around like a roaring lion looking for someone to devour (1 Peter 5:8). The first part of this verse also warns us to be self-controlled and alert watching out for the Devil's schemes.And believe me, if you are a follower of Christ, you are now a target of the enemy.


Ephesians 6:12 New International Version
For our struggle is not against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the authorities, against the powers of this dark world and against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly realms.
 
John 8:44 New International Version 
He was a murderer from the beginning, not holding to the truth, for there is no truth in him. When he lies, he speaks his native language, for he is a liar and the father of lies.

We are not immune from temptation. Jesus was tempted and so was Eve. 

Matthew 4:1 New International Version 
Jesus Is Tested in the Wilderness
Then Jesus was led by the Spirit into the wilderness to be tempted by the devil.

Genesis 3:1 New International Version 
The Fall
Now the serpent was more crafty than any of the wild animals the Lord God had made. He said to the woman, “Did God really say, ‘You must not eat from any tree in the garden’?”



Staying in God’s word along with prayer is our best defense against our enemy. It is also beneficial to be in fellowship with other believers and have them pray for us as well.  The greatest difficulties I have with spiritual battles are when I am alone dwelling on my circumstances rather than seeking God’s protection along with his wisdom and comfort.  One important lesson I have learned when isolated is that I am more vulnerable to attack. The floodgates of deception and thoughts of self destruction have an easier time making headway into my mind and heart when I shut out God and other believers.

One of the blessings and form of protection that I have received form God is that I wake up most days with a God song reverberating in my head. The songs I engage in each week for worship help me focus back on God. These wonderful songs about Jesus, faith, prayer, the Christian life etc., repeatedly play in my mind to the point where the lyrics and melody penetrate deep into my heart and soul. I usually wake up in the morning hearing the parts of a song that are catchy and filled with great spiritual depth.  As the lyrics and melody become my life song for that moment any thoughts or doubts that would affect the level of my faith seem to be kept afar.  My focus is now on God and that helps me get back on the right track. To me this is just one of the blessings I have received through my involvement in music ministry. 

Still another important way to help in the struggle of a spiritual Battle is to memorize some Bible verses. Bible verses help us refocus back on God and His principles. When we memorize Bible verses we can access God’s Word any time any place. Think about the areas in your life where God’s Word can be a constant reminder that you are His, and that He has your best interests at heart. Memorize a verse that applies to a situation you are dealing with right now. You can use a concordance which is an alphabetical index of Bible words and names. Each word is followed by a list of one or more verses containing that word or name. You can find this in the back pages of a Bible. For instance, if you are worried about a situation you are in. Go to the concordance And look up the word worry. For example, you will see that Matthew 6:25 is listed. You can also use a Computer or tablet and go to WWW. BIBLEGATEWAY.COM or the App and enter the word worry in the keyword search. Here is what it says when I go to the chapter and verse:

Matthew 6:25 NIV
"Therefore I tell you, do not worry about your life, what you will eat or drink; or about your body, what you will wear. Is not life more important than food, and the body more important than clothes?

Then continue to read more of the passage:

26Look at the birds of the air; they do not sow or reap or store away in barns, and yet your heavenly Father feeds them. Are you not much more valuable than they? 27Who of you by worrying can add a single hour to his life?

Try to memorize all or part of the passage. The Holy Spirit has a supernatural way of reminding us of God's Word when we most need it. 

Using these tools will also be led to this verse:

Matthew 6:34 NIV

Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.
 

I don't know about you but God's Word gives me the perspective I need and the reassurance I desire. 
 
Personally, I need  a constant diet  of God's Word that I can apply to my life and circumstances.

Here is a verse that reminds me about trusting God to get me back on track:

Proverbs 3:5-6 NIV
Trust in the LORD with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding;



in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make your paths straight.
  

Here are some helpful verses that I can be apply to ministry:

Philippians 1:6 NIV
being confident of this, that he who began a good work in you will carry it on to completion 
until the day of Christ Jesus.

Philippians 2:13 NIV
for it is God who works in you to will and to act according to his good purpose.

Philippians 4:13 NIV
I can do everything through him who gives me strength.


Here is a great reminder that if we acknowledge God, and if we live for Him, He will be looking out for our best interests. Regardless of the length of our lives we have the assurance of salvation. Notice that God says that He will be with us in trouble which means that believers are not immune from having problems in this life.  God promises to be with us in our sufferings and dire circumstances.

Psalm 91:9-16 NIV
If you make the Most High your dwelling—even the LORD, who is my refuge- then no harm will befall you, no disaster will come near your tent.  For he will command his angels concerning you to guard you in all your ways; they will lift you up in their hands, so that you will not strike your foot against a stone.  You will tread upon the lion and the cobra; you will trample the great lion and the serpent. "Because he loves me," says the LORD, "I will rescue him;  I will protect him, for he acknowledges my name.  He will call upon me, and I will answer him; I will be with him in
trouble, I will deliver him and honor him.  With long life will I satisfy him and show him my salvation."

Ask God to help you locate the principles you need and then apply His Word to the situations you are dealing with. I guarantee the perspective you attain will be beneficial.

Regardless of the circumstances, the power of God’s Word renews our minds. Application by acting on our faith through the direction of His Word will strengthen us as we face temptations and struggles that are affecting our Biblical worldview.

I love this verse:

Romans 12:2 NIV 
Do not conform any longer to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind. Then you will be able to test and approve what God's will is—his good, pleasing and perfect will.

Along with spiritual battles, followers of Jesus are going to face trials and the testing of their faith. Regardless of the cause, trials and the testing of our faith can ultimately be beneficial to us.

James 1:2-4 NIV

Consider it pure joy, my brothers, whenever you face trials of many kinds, because you know that 
the testing of your faith develops perseverance.  Perseverance must finish its work so that you may be mature and complete, not lacking anything.



Jesus also told us we are going to suffer in this world. But we can rejoice in our sufferings because when we allow God to work in us during these difficult times, He will develop and strengthen our faith and character. We also have the privilege to witness and experience the power of God in us and through us. This Power is the Holy Spirit.

Romans 5:3-5 NIV
Not only so, but we also rejoice in our sufferings, because we know that suffering produces perseverance; perseverance, character; and character, hope. And hope does not disappoint us, because God has poured out his love into our hearts by the Holy Spirit, whom he has given us.

Someone once told me that there is more to this world than we can actually see. There are things that are going on around us that are hidden from our daily perception and existence. This is known as the “The Supernatural”. (Something that cannot be explained by the laws of nature/forces and phenomena that cannot be perceived by natural or empirical senses). As a child, I believed the supernatural meant Ghosts, UFO’s, Dracula and weird stuff that I saw in the movies and on TV. It was not till I was much older that I began to realize I have a real supernatural enemy whose goal is to keep me away from God.   

Now that we are aware that our struggles are not against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, authorities, powers of this dark world and spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly realms, we need to ask God for His daily protection and the strength to persevere during times of spiritual battle. 

So I encourage you to pray, read and study God’s Word. Take to heart these verses from the Bible:  “Put on the full armor of God, so that you can take your stand against the devil's schemes(Ephesians 6:11).Submit yourselves, then, to God.  Resist the devil, and he will flee from you” (James 4:7).

So, even though I have not moved to the beach yet and fulfilled the fantasies that I mentioned earlier, I can still live in abundance right now, all by just trusting God with every area of my life, as well as fish for people far from God and share with them the hope that I have. 

 Know this, God Keeps His Promises!

GOD'S WORD  Translation
Keep in mind that the LORD your God is [the only] God. He is a faithful God, who keeps his promise [covenant of Love] and is merciful to thousands of generations of those who love him and obey his commands.


So When the Spiritual Battle emerges and temptation comes knocking at your door
remember:



1 Corinthians 10:13 New International Version
No temptation has overtaken you except what is common to mankind. And God is faithful; he will not let you be tempted beyond what you can bear. But when you are tempted, he will also provide a way out so that you can endure it.



Just Sayin…………………..Dave








No comments:

Post a Comment