Wednesday, June 12, 2013

Rules And Principles That Were Made To Be Cherished



Romans 12:1 NIV
Therefore, I urge you, brothers, in view of God's mercy, to offer your bodies as living sacrifices, holy and pleasing to God—this is your spiritual act of worship.

  ……………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………
Rules for Holy Living:
For a good of the many years of my earthly existence I have held the view that not all "rules", morally, legislative and procedural, were good for me. In fact, there were times where I rebelliously and deliberately broke many of them because I thought that the act of doing so was cool. I also believed that it gave me power over the authorities that put them in place. I actually thought that rules were designed to personally hamper my freedom. So at times, as an added part of my mission in life, I looked for ways to get around these rules which I felt hampered my personal freedom and desire to live the way I wanted to . 

After a while of experiencing the consequences and backlash of breaking the boundaries of all things authoritative. I began to realize that maybe living outside of the moral framework of society was not such a good thing. This new perspective came as a result of seeing the world through different eyes. You see with God's perspective I was able to recognize my foolishness and the futility of my thinking.  I eventually became aware that by abiding and living by God’s Word I was able to experience to true freedom. 

I finally got this very important message:  
Through Christ I am free from the consequences of sin and death. God’s loving grace freed me from the cycle of foolish living and now I was able to grasp that abundant life was the blessing I receive as a result of becoming a follower of Jesus. I understand now that my true joy comes from my relationship with Jesus and the privilege of serving Him with all those God given gifts and talents I have been given. I also have the joy and privilege to share the good news and help encourage others who are hurting and lost and in desperate need of hope. Because of my understanding of peace with God through Jesus' work on the cross, which is the only way of reconciliation,  I can relate to the fact that entering into a real relationship with God is the X factor, that missing link that fills the emptiness of the God sized hole we are all imbedded with. Also, once one becomes a follower of Christ there is this guarantee, He will never leave us nor forsake us. In fact, we are guaranteed eternal life and we have moved from death to life. Our sins have been forgiven once and for all. Jesus said this:

John 10:28 New Living Translation 
I give them eternal life, and they will never perish. No one can snatch them away from me.

The Apostle Paul tells us:
 
Colossians 2:13 New International Version
When you were dead in your sins and in the uncircumcision of your flesh, God made you alive with Christ. He forgave us all our sins,

No matter what my circumstances, I have this assurance from God's Word that what God has promised He will fulfill. There is much evidence in the Bible to back up that fact.

Last week I was reading through Colossians 3. I thought it would be helpful to revisit some of these verses again and seriously attempt to apply them to our daily lives. Following these principles can make a difference in how abundantly we live each day. By turning our hearts toward God and by giving the Holy Spirit the drivers seat, we will become effective ambassadors for Christ.This is something we should all strive be better at. Here are some great principles to take to heart:

Principle 1: Focus on the things of God

Colossians 3:1-2 NIV
Since, then, you have been raised with Christ, set your hearts on things above, where Christ is seated at the right hand of God. Set your minds on things above, not on earthly things.

Here our eyes need to be focused on Jesus. Our hope is based on our salvation and not how well for example, the financial markets happen to be doing that day. We need to have an eternal perspective on life as opposed to giving in to the temptation to live and fulfill the sinful desires of our heart, leading to deception and folly. Walking with God everyday has its benefits. If we are looking for discernment and wisdom we need to stay focused on God’s Word. The Bible tells us how we can live abundantly. Just reading the Words that Jesus spoke can provide the insight we need to live a life that can have a beneficial eternal impact for ourselves and for God’s kingdom. The next step would be the application of that insight. Try applying this next verse and see how God provides for you.

Matthew 7:7-8 NIV
"Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you. For everyone who asks receives; he who seeks finds; and to him who knocks, the door will be opened.

Principle 2: Put to death our earthly nature

Colossians 3:5 NIV
Put to death, therefore, whatever belongs to your earthly nature: sexual immorality, impurity, lust, evil desires and greed, which is idolatry.

Sin separates us from God so we need to avoid it. In fact we need to run from it. Sin is like a disease,
it Seriously Infects our Nature and requires drastic recalibration of our minds and hearts in order that
temptation no longer can motivate us to sin. This was made possible through Christ, and by His sacrifice which freed us from the controlling factor sin can play in ones life. Along with our new freedom in Christ, we now have the Holy Spirit to help us withstand that controlling power of sin. The Holy Spirit will also teach us God’s Word and help strengthen us to obey it.  

Principle 3: Be truthful and Christ-like

Colossians 3:9-10 NIV
Do not lie to each other, since you have taken off your old self with its practices and have put on the new self, which is being renewed in knowledge in the image of its Creator.

We need to be truthful and Christ-like. We are changed when we receive Jesus as our Lord and Savior. The Holy Spirit now dwells in us. We are on a new journey of hope and trust in God’s promises. As we grow in our knowledge and faith in Christ we need to continue to allow God to continue to change us. This will require us that we continually set ourselves apart to God. In fact,
this is our exhortation if we want to be effective in sharing the Good News to others.

1 Peter 3:15 NIV 
But in your hearts set apart Christ as Lord. Always be prepared to give an answer to everyone who asks you to give the reason
for the hope that you have. But do this with gentleness and respect,

Our Character, our integrity and our honesty should be at forefront of everything we do. Our heart for the lost should reflect a Christ-likeness that speaks directly to the heart in a loving, gentle, kind and concerned way that can make inroads even those who are extremely far from God.

Principle 4: Ways to be Christ-like

Colossians 3:12-17 NIV
Therefore, as God's chosen people, holy and dearly loved, clothe yourselves with compassion, kindness, humility, gentleness and patience. Bear with each other and forgive whatever grievances you may have against one another. Forgive as the Lord forgave you. And over all these virtues put on love, which binds them all together in perfect unity. Let the peace of Christ rule in your hearts, since as members of one body you were called to peace. And be thankful. Let the word of Christ dwell in you richly as you teach and admonish one another with all wisdom, and as you sing psalms, hymns and spiritual songs with gratitude in your hearts to God. And whatever you do, whether in word or deed, do it all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through him.

Colossians 3:21 NIV
Fathers, do not embitter your children, or they will become discouraged

The above verses speak volumes to me as a parent. I am the supreme lecturer and at times I will torture my sons with my Godly wisdom.  Sometimes they just need to be heard and need to feel loved. They definitely needs boundaries and discipline, but I need to model my new self in Christ in order for them to see clearly that what I say and what I do does not clothe itself in contradiction. The last thing I want to do is to cause my sons to stumble over their faith because of the way I am living my life.

The point of all this is that God has rules/principles in place for our benefit. Following God's rules/principles will only enhance the blessings we have been given as followers of Jesus. If we want fulfill the command to be like Jesus than we need to take what God's Word says to heart. If we want to help change the world, the best way to begin is through our obedience to God's commands.

 I am thankful that God’s Word has made great inroads into my life. His rules/principles that I used to reject are now the guiding principles of my everyday life. Through God’s grace my eyes have been open to the truth and I now live with abundance even when my circumstances would dictate otherwise.You see where there is real hope there is peace even in the valley. For what God has done
for the lost I am forever grateful.  Amazing Grace!

Ephesians 4:24 NIV 
and to put on the new self, created to be like God in true righteousness and holiness.

Philippians 2:5 NIV
Your attitude should be the same as that of Christ Jesus


Just Sayin……………..Dave




No comments:

Post a Comment