Wednesday, March 13, 2013

What Is Your Motivation?


What Is Your The Motivation

Hebrews 12:1-3 NIV
Therefore, since we are surrounded by such a great cloud of witnesses, let us throw off everything 
that hinders and the sin that so easily entangles, and let us run with perseverance the race marked 
out for us. Let us fix our eyes on Jesus, the author and perfecter of our faith, who for the joy 
set before him endured the cross, scorning its shame, and sat down at the right hand of the throne of 
God. Consider him who endured such opposition from sinful men, so that you will not grow
weary and lose heart.


I don’t know about you but life sometimes feels like I’m running a race. A lot of times I find it hard to 
keep up with all the things I think I need to get done.  I have so many things I think I need to do immediately that I end up avoiding areas of my life that God says should be a priority (ex. Family).  Ultimately this causes stress in both the family situation and in the time I spend in the task that I am 
trying to complete. Life becomes even more stressful when I have to make decisions and fulfill 
commitments while being off balance and juggling many plates.  Alas, there is hope. I find solace in 
God’s Word and using my wife as a soundboard. However, sometimes the sounds she hears 
aren't the most pleasing to the ear.

What I need to remember is that God cares about being part of all the areas of my life. No matter 
how small the task, no matter how big the circumstance, God desires to be involved, walking step by 
step as I acknowledge His presence in my life. 

The greatest detriment to life as a follower of Jesus are the desires of the flesh.  The question is: Am I going to walk with God, follow His direction, and be obedient to His principles, or at times push Him off to the side in order to rely on my own strength, my own wisdom and my own desire to do life my own way? 

When I push God away the difficulties I face in life are seen through human perspective. In my mind 
there is no eternal purpose for my suffering. Yet through God's eyes there is a purpose. The Apostle Paul
tells us that for those who love God there is a good purpose for everything that happens. Even suffering.

Romans 8:28 New International Version  
And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who
have been called according to his purpose.


There is a key to being able to live joyfully even though we may be facing hardships and difficult circumstances. The problem is we live in a fallen world and we have an enemy who is out to diminish our 
effectiveness to be the salt and light in this world. 

So let’s first look at Jesus and see did how He connected His suffering to an eternal purpose.

When I visualize the suffering Jesus endured during the time of His crucifixion, I have a hard time 
thinking that He had some kind of joyful anticipation leading up to the torture He was going experience. 
But then I think about what He knew He was going to accomplish on the Cross. 
Jesus was willing to suffer so that a filthy rag like me could have hope and eternal life?

Love and obedience were behind the Jesus motivation to lay down His life.

John 10:17-18 NIV
The reason my Father loves me is that I lay down my life—only to take it up again. No one takes
it from me, but I lay it down of my own accord. I have authority to lay it down and authority to take
it up again. This command I received from my Father."

Jesus knew that His love and obedience to God would fulfill the promise that was made to us.

John 3:16 NIV
"For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him 
shall not perish but have eternal life.

John 10:27-28 NIV
My sheep listen to my voice; I know them, and they follow me. I give them eternal life, and 
they shall never perish; no one can snatch them out of my hand.


Out of great love for us and love for the Father,  Jesus willingly endure a great amount suffering and 
even death. With the same attitude and out of love for Jesus we can endure the suffering we face in the Christian life. The key is our lives have purpose. Even suffering and trials have a purpose.


Romans 5:3-5 NIV
Not only so, but we also rejoice in our sufferings, because we know that suffering produces perseverance; perseverance, character; and character, hope. And hope does not disappoint us, 
because God has poured out his love into our hearts by the Holy Spirit, whom he has given us.


James 1:2-4 NIV
Consider it pure joy, my brothers, whenever you face trials of many kinds, because you know 
that the testing of your faith develops perseverance. Perseverance must finish its work so 
that you may be mature and complete, not lacking anything.


The greater purpose:
God wants us to be strong in our faith and develop good character. God wants to use these 
qualities to impact our fallen world. Our spiritual maturity will help us to set apart Christ as lord and 
inspire us to use the gifts that He has given us for the benefit of His kingdom.


When we realize the race we are running has an eternal purpose, the suffering we 
endure has a greater value in that we are suffering for the sake of Jesus.


1 Peter 2:19-21 NIV
For it is commendable if a man bears up under the pain of unjust suffering because he is conscious 
of God. But how is it to your credit if you receive a beating for doing wrong and endure it? 
But if you suffer for doing good and you endure it, this is commendable before God.  
To this you were called, because Christ suffered for you, leaving you an example,
that you should follow in his steps.


Part of a Christian’s suffering is caused by living a life contrary to the culture.  Followers of Jesus 
are ridiculed and persecuted for liking Christian music, for Home Schooling, for going to Church, 
for reading, believing and studying the Bible, for staying sober, for not partying, for not going along 
with the crowd, for not taking revenge, for not having a goal of financial extravagance, for not being self-seeking, for having morals and values, for valuing life, for living a holier life, for a desire to please God, for believing in the Creation, for loving Jesus, for sharing their faith, etc.

Because of the deep effect and consequence of sin in our world and the enemies influence in our culture, running the race for God takes supernatural strength. There are many obstacles in the way. You may be dealing with some of those obstacles right now. Here is some good news: The Holy Spirit plays a 
significant role in our service to God, spiritual maturity, receiving God’s love, faith and the strength to deal with the difficulties of life.

Acts 9:31 NIV
Then the church throughout Judea, Galilee and Samaria enjoyed a time of peace. It was strengthened
and encouraged by The Holy Spirit, it grew in numbers, living in the fear of the Lord.

Romans 5:5 NIV
And hope does not disappoint us, because God has poured out his love into our hearts by the 
Holy Spirit, whom he has given us.

John 14:26 TNIV
But the Advocate, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in my name, will teach you all things 
and will remind you of everything I have said to you.

Acts 1:8 TNIV
But you will receive power when the Holy Spirit comes on you; and you will be my witnesses in Jerusalem, and in all Judea and Samaria, and to the ends of the earth."

1 Thessalonians 1:5 TNIV
because our gospel came to you not simply with words but also with power, with the Holy Spirit 
and deep conviction. You know how we lived among you for your sake.

1 Thessalonians 1:6 TNIV
You became imitators of us and of the Lord, for you welcomed the message in the midst of 
severe suffering with the joy given by the Holy Spirit.

Titus 3:5 TNIV
he saved us, not because of righteous things we had done, but because of his mercy. He saved 
us through the washing of rebirth and renewal by the Holy Spirit,

Hebrews 2:4 TNIV
God also testified to it by signs, wonders and various miracles, and by gifts of the Holy Spirit 
distributed according to his will.



Because of God’s gift of faith, along with help from the Holy Spirit and God’s Word, we have the 
right equipment to endure the difficult circumstances we are going to face as followers of Jesus.


Here is some good news - When we are burdened Jesus offers Himself to us as rest 
for our souls:

Matthew 11:28-30 NIV
"Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon 
you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls.  
For my yoke is easy and my burden is light."

The fact is, we don't need a reservation to be in the presence of Jesus. But we do need to take the 
time to share our lives with Him. 

Because this life is like running a race, we need to have the right equipment in order to run it 
well. The Bible has all the information and wisdom we need in order to live the abundant life 
God desires for each of us. It is up to us however, whether or not we are going to apply God’s Word 
and wisdom to our lives. This desire to walk with God has to come from a deeper place of gratitude 
and love for Him. We have to weigh all things from an eternal perspective in order to have a clearer understanding of our hope and purpose in this world.

So what’s the motivation?

Jesus was motivated to fulfill God’s plan out of Love for Him and out of love for us.  Because of 
Jesus’ incredible love for us through His work on the cross, our gratitude and eternal hope motivates us
to fulfill our purpose in this life. Our purpose is to love and serve God, and to love others. These are the
two greatest commandments.

Our hope is in Jesus.

In order to run a race and finish well we have to know where the finish line is. Jesus tells us
the direction in which we need to run. 

John 14:6Jesus answered, “I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the 
Father except through me.


So we run toward the author and perfecter of our faith, Jesus.  He will be the one to greet us when we 
cross the finish line. I hope He will say to each of us, “well done good and faithful servant”.



Just Sayin…………………..Dave



1 comment:

  1. This is great... thanks for the reminder about what is important first and foremost in our lives.
    I needed this today!

    ReplyDelete