Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Simple Tips For having A Godly Perspective


Simple Tips for having a Godly perspective:
I don’t know about you but in order for me to successfully navigate through life I need to have the right
perspective on things. Over the years I have gained enough insight to know that I am a terrible
navigator through the twists and turns of daily living. I usually get things wrong before I get them right.
So percentage wise, I need a better batting average.  Too many times have come to the plate unprepared
to hit those curve balls thrown my way.

There are some obvious things that I can do in order to have a Godly perspective on things
  1. Read my Bible daily.
  2. Study and meditate on the passage of scripture I am reading.
  3. Pray and ask God to help me understand the passage that I am reading and how it applies to my life.
  4. Ask God to help me apply that passage to my life.

Well that seems easy enough. OK lesson over. Not so fast Jack. Do I make time each day to do this?

The Bible says:

Matthew 4:4 MSG
Jesus answered by quoting Deuteronomy: "It takes more than bread to stay alive. It takes a steady 
stream of words from God's mouth."


Desire and time play a role in whether or not I will connect with God. The Bible exhorts me to
get a perspective adjustment by renewing my mind. Reading God’s Word, if taken to heart, can
have such an effect and in this case bring us in line with God’s will.

Romans 12:2 NIV
Do not conform any longer to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your
mind. then you will be able to test and approve what God's will is—his good, pleasing and perfect will.


There are other passages in the Bible that urge us to take God’s Word to heart. Let’s
take a look at some more passages.

Here Jesus urges us to build a strong foundation for life based on His teachings:

Matthew 7:24-27 NIV
"Therefore everyone who hears these words of mine and puts them into practice is like a wise man who built his house on the rock. The rain came down, the streams rose, and the winds blew and beat against that house; yet it did not fall, because it had its foundation on the rock. But everyone who hears these words of mine and does not put them into practice is like a foolish man who built his house on sand. The rain came down, the streams rose, and the winds blew and beat against that house, and it fell with a great crash."


Jesus explains that His followers are able to discern His “voice of truth” and devote themselves to
living by it by becoming His devoted followers.

John 10:27 NIV
My sheep listen to my voice; I know them, and they follow me.

The Bible tells us that it is important not just to read God’s Word but apply it to our lives:

James 1:22-24 NIV
Do not merely listen to the word, and so deceive yourselves. Do what it says.
Anyone who listens to the word but does not do what it says is like a man who looks at his face in a mirror
and, after looking at himself, goes away and immediately forgets what he looks like.


We are also told by the Apostle Paul to make sure everything we hear passes the test of
being consistent with God’s Word. How many times have we heard others twist the meaning
of scripture in order to fit their particular biased unbiblical viewpoint. 

1 Thessalonians 5:21 NLT
but test everything that is said. Hold on to what is good.

Remember it is the Holy Spirit that will guide you in the truth by teaching you the meaning  
of God’s Word.

John 16:12-15
"I have much more to say to you, more than you can now bear. But when he, the Spirit of truth,
comes, he will guide you into all truth. He will not speak on his own; he will speak only what he hears,
and he will tell you what is yet to come. He will bring glory to me by taking from what is mine and making
it known to you. All that belongs to the Father is mine. That is why I said the Spirit will take from what is mine and make it known to you.

1 Corinthians 2:9-16 NIV
However, as it is written: "No eye has seen, no ear has heard, no mind has conceived
what God has prepared for those who love him" but God has revealed it to us by his Spirit.
The Spirit searches all things, even the deep things of God. For who among men knows the thoughts of a man except the man's spirit within him? In the same way no one knows the thoughts of God except the Spirit of God. We have not received the spirit of the world but the Spirit who is from God, that we may understand what God has freely given us. This is what we speak, not in words taught us by human wisdom but in words taught by the Spirit, expressing spiritual truths in spiritual words.
The man without the Spirit does not accept the things that come from the Spirit of God, for they are foolishness to him, and he cannot understand them, because they are spiritually discerned. The spiritual man makes judgments about all things, but he himself is not subject to any man's judgment: 
"For who has known the mind of the Lord that he may instruct him?" But we have the mind of Christ.

Ezekiel 36:26-27 NIV
I will give you a new heart and put a new spirit in you; I will remove from you your heart of stone and give you a heart of flesh. And I will put my Spirit in you and move you to follow my decrees and be careful to keep my laws.

Ephesians 1:17-18 NIV
I keep asking that the God of our Lord Jesus Christ, the glorious Father, may give you the Spirit of wisdom and revelation, so that you may know him better. I pray also that the eyes of your heart may be enlightened in order that you may know the hope to which he has called you, the riches of his glorious inheritance in the saints,


So one way for believers to attain a Godly perspective is to stay connected to the Holy Spirit Who will  
help them understand the truth and meaning of God’s Word.

Some things we can expect the Holy Spirit to do:
  • First, we receive the Holy Spirit when we receive Jesus as our Lord and Savior.
  • The Holy Spirit will, reveal and direct. Never independent or out of harmony with the Scriptures.
  • The Holy Spirit will give us the desire and strength to stay connected to God in various ways.
  • The Holy Spirit will encourage, comfort and counsel us in difficult times or times of decision making.The Holy Spirit will convict us of our sin.
  • The Holy Spirit reveals the truth and wisdom of God’s Word.
  • The Holy Spirit will help us remember the teachings of God’s Word and help us with application.

Once we have embedded the truth of God’s Word in our mind and heart we become responsible

for its proper dissemination.

2 Timothy 2:15 NIV
Do your best to present yourself to God as one approved, a workman who does not need to be ashamed
and who correctly handles the word of truth.

1 Peter 3:15-16 NIV
But in your hearts set apart Christ as Lord. Always be prepared to give an answer to everyone who asks you to give the reason for the hope that you have. But do this with gentleness and respect, keeping a clear conscience, so that those who speak maliciously against your good behavior in Christ may be ashamed of their slander.

1 Corinthians 10:31-33 NIV
So whether you eat or drink or whatever you do, do it all for the glory of God. Do not cause anyone to stumble, whether Jews, Greeks or the church of God— even as I try to please everybody in every way. For I am not seeking my own good but the good of many, so that they may be saved. 


The best way to live life with a Godly perspective is to be filled daily with the wisdom and truth of God’s Word. The more we detach from God the more we open ourselves up to hear the voices of opposition and the more the enemy can get a foothold in our life. Our enemy does not speak the truth. In fact, he is known as the father of lies.

John 8:44 NIV
(The Devil) He was a murderer from the beginning, not holding to the truth, for there is no truth in him. When he lies, he speaks his native language, for he is a liar and the father of lies.


Do we have enough wisdom and strength to discern the truth and fight the temptation to sin?

The Bible tells us this:

1 Peter 5:8 NIV
Be self-controlled and alert. Your enemy the devil prowls around like a roaring lion looking for someone to devour.


Do we have the understanding that a follower of Jesus will have to deal with Spiritual Warfare?

Ephesians 6:12 NIV
For our struggle is not against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the authorities, against the powers of this dark world and against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly realms.

Where Godly perspective comes into play is that the Bible can help us with our spiritual battles.

Ephesians 6:10-11 NIV
Finally, be strong in the Lord and in his mighty power. Put on the full armor of God so that you can take your stand against the devil's schemes.


If we want to stand firm in our faith then we are going to have to trust God and saturate ourselves
with His Truth.

My favorite Bible passage reminds me to trust God to guide me in every area of my life.

Proverbs 3:5-6 NIV
Trust in the LORD with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding;
in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make your paths straight.  


The Bible is one of the most important ways God reveals His Truth to me. It is also important to know that as I desire God’s will for my life, I can count on the Holy Spirit to direct my path and Jesus’ teachings to
help me navigate the rough waters of a world gone mad. I know if I keep God’s Word close to my heart, the
voices of opposition cannot derail me because I have a strong foundation built upon God’s “voice of truth”.
One thing I know for sure, God’s Word contains the Godly perspective I need to live a life set apart to him.
When I set my whole life apart to God this is my spiritual act of worship. With God’s Word embedded in my
heart I am equipped to do the work God has called me to do and I have the Godly perspective I need to
fulfill His calling for my life.

Remember this:

2 Timothy 3:16-17 NIV
All Scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness, so that the man of God may be thoroughly equipped for every good work.


So again, let’s do these obvious things and more:
  • Develop our level of spiritual maturity by reading and studying our Bibles.
  • Meditate and apply by God’s Word to our lives.
  • Standing firm in our faith.
  • Live a life set apart to God. (Serving, Worshiping, Obedience, Holiness)
  • Trust and receive God’s leadership in every area of our lives.
  • Develop into fully devoted followers of Christ.
  • Trust that God will keep His promise to give us a hope and a future.
  • Acknowledge Jesus as Lord and Savior.
  • Pray
  • Confess sin and repent.
  • Loving God, Loving others.
  • Trust and act upon the wisdom and discernment given by the Holy Spirit.

Our enemy likes to throw a mean curve ball.  With a Godly perspective on life we can have the confidence to stand firm in the batters box and even swing for the fences.  


Just Sayin………………..Dave      



No comments:

Post a Comment