Monday, December 10, 2012

A Christmas Perspective



I love Christmas time. I enjoy the music, the parties, the worship, the gifts, the lights, the food and most of all the Christmas  “Story”. I love to reflect on God’s plan for the salvation of man. I know that if I had written the Christmas “Story” Jesus would have ended being more like Elvis. Thank goodness I had nothing to do with it. And I guess that’s the point. God on His on accord desired to give us back the life He originally intended for us before it was messed up. He did this through His son Jesus’ life and then death on the cross. God created the Heavens and the Earth for specific purpose. He wanted to give us the perfect home for us to be in perfect fellowship with Him.  He created all things for the benefit of man. Christmas reminds me that even though God’s original plan was altered by the “Fall”, God already had a plan to make us in right
relationship with him again. Jesus was born to restore hope, to bring new life and to show God’s incredible love by going to the cross to pay the penalty for our sins. What is true is that in man’s present spiritual condition, we can not earn God’s love or favor, nor do we deserve it. But what is also true is that even though we all run away from God in one way or another, He continues to pursue a relationship with us and  loves us beyond our own understanding. 

I know this to be true because one day I stopped running and God was right there ready to adopt me into His family. Even after all I had done to dishonor His name, He showed me the most incredible love, grace and mercy that I have ever experienced. I am so grateful to be part of His kingdom and I am also extremely grateful I am able to be part of a Church community that humbly serves and worships God in spirit and in truth. 

Celebrating Christmas has a much deeper meaning for me now than when I was a young lad. Growing up in a Jewish family the only thing I understood about Christmas was all the hype behind the Santa Claus tradition. In fact, I always had this secret desire to be able to sit on Santa's lap because I wanted to be just like the other kids who got to tell Santa about what they wanted for Christmas. Unfortunately, I was never able to do so because of the wall that was built up between my family and the Christian Faith. Fortunately later on I realized the Santa thing was not what the Christmas celebration was about. My whole perspective changed when I became a follower of Jesus and received from God the most incredible gift any one can get. God knew what I needed. When He offered me His gift of eternal life, I first had to realize it was a gift. I didn't have to earn it or deserve it in order to receive it. When I realized that the gift that I have been given was everlasting, my thoughts and actions began to change. I began to look at life with an eternal perspective. I began to live a “Purpose Driven life” knowing that when my life was over I would have a home in heaven prepared by Jesus. This life now became my preparation for my eternity.

As I age and my body continues to wear down, I really look forward to getting a new eternal imperishable body and spend more time doing what I am doing now, worshiping God in “Spirit and in Truth”. For all of us who are believers we have these great promises to hold on to. One day we will no longer have pain, suffering, tears, death, disappointment, fear, brokenness, and sin after our present physical state is over and we have moved on to be in the presence of God in heaven.  

Here is this great promise from God form the Book of Revelation:

Revelation 21:3-5 New International Version 1984 
 And I heard a loud voice from the throne saying, “Now the dwelling of God is with men, and he will live with them. They will be his people, and God himself will be with them and be their God. He will wipe every tear from their eyes. There will be no more death or mourning or crying or pain, for the old order of things has passed away.” He who was seated on the throne said, “I am making everything new!” Then he said, “Write this down, for these words are trustworthy and true.”


Personally I am looking forward to the perfect worship service, to the perfect life and perfect fellowship with God that has been promised. Because of what God has done in my life, and the evidence I have seen Him do in others, I know I can trust Him. I am grateful God decided to send His son Jesus to rescue me from the hands of my enemy and myself. I am grateful for the peace that I now have because God kept His promise; to give me the Holy Spirit to indwell in me, to be my source of peace, to be my comforter, my teacher, my leader, my conscience and the source of wisdom, discernment and strength I need to make
the right choices in this life.

I pray that during this Christmas season and beyond, all of us will have the peace of God, which transcends all understanding (Philippians 4:7). I pray that we will come to know and love our Savior in a deeper and more intimate way. I pray that we will live everyday with an eternal perspective knowing that God has a purpose for each of us and we are all are part of His plan. I pray that even among the most difficult circumstances we may face that we will trust the Holy Spirit to comfort us and lead us out of spiritual darkness. I pray God's Word will be powerful and truly resonate in our hearts and minds. Here are some great promises from God's Word:

Deuteronomy 31:8
The LORD himself goes before you and will be with you; he will never leave you nor forsake you
Do not be afraid; do not be discouraged.”


Jeremiah 29:11 
For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the Lord, plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.

Romans 10:12-13  

For there is no difference between Jew and Gentile—the same Lord is Lord of all and richly blesses all who call on him, for, “Everyone who calls on the name of the Lord will be saved."


Isaiah 9:6

For to us a child is born, a son is given, and the government will be on his shoulders,
And he will be called, Wonderful Counselor, Mighty God, Everlasting Father, Prince Of Peace


 




God has given us the greatest gift of all, our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ. Christmas reminds us that God gave us new life through the birth of His Son, Jesus. Christmas should also remind us about the suffering Jesus endured on the cross for the sake of us all. Through Christs' work on the cross there is real victory for all who receive it. Because of what Jesus was willing to do we have an incredible everlasting future. Because of Jesus we can live the abundant life right now, loving God and serving Him with all our heart, mind, soul and strength. All those who are authentic followers of Jesus have so much to be thankful for. I pray we will all be reminded of God's blessings throughout this Christmas season and extend a loving hand to those in need. Let's Think about the gift we have been given. Let's also think about the gifts we can give. 

Have an awesome Christmas!

Just Sayin…………………..Dave




No comments:

Post a Comment